2006 NATS - Limited B Interest

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

2006 NATS - Limited B Interest

Post by Ed Kettler »

Who is interested in flying Limited B at the 2006 NATS? Please post here so we can get some indication of the interest level. Also, please register in the Contest Calendar.

Thanks!\Ed
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'll fly!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Me too!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Brian will and maybe me too. don't be skeered, i'll go easy on y'all.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Are you getting an 18 wheeler to haul all of the planes you're going to need for these events?[:D]
boiler

Post by boiler »

I don't have an 18 wheeler, but I did haul 18 planes to last year's NATS. I figure on about the same number of planes this year but some will be 1/2 A and small BP21 electrics. That's the plan for now anyway. I got the Van all loaded for the trip to Loganville tomorrow. I'll pick Mark C. up at the Ohio River and we're gonna burn a path through the South just like Sherman.[}:)]
mark s

Post by mark s »

I'm in!

Roid
AIM

Post by AIM »

Not sure if I'm going yet but if I do I'm looking for LimB.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

If I have any wings left. I`ll do Lim B.
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

I'm not sure if I will be there but' if I am I'll be flying open B

Don Fourson
montague

Post by montague »

If it's flown, I'll fly it, but will it come at the expense of another class?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The short answer, Kirk, is that we will try to fly it twice during the NATS, hoping for getting 4 rounds in. The first slot we are looking at is Day 2 after Open B and 2610 finish, and after we get 2548 judging done. Open B will fly in the morning to give the Limited B guys time to repair and convert airframes. The second slot is at the end of Day 4's flying. The goal is 10 rounds of 2610 and Open B, 10 rounds of SSC and 2548, and 4 of Limited B.
montague

Post by montague »

Sounds like a plan.

Why not run Lim B in both of the avialable slots of there is time? (I know, that's asking for perfect weather, and a very fast contest)

Too much trouble to put away the stuff and get it back after skipping a day?
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Ed,
I started flying combat in April of 2005, and I can say that I completly devoted to the sport and getting other pilots in. In the past season, I drove to as many events as I possibly could, learning the skills and what it takes to be competive. I have learned that every pilot that I have met has been more than helpful to show me anything that I have asked, I fly avengers and even Lee takes the time to talk to about new ideas.

What I am concerned with more than anything, is that I can go to any event and fly 10 rounds of Open B and 10 rounds of SSC. All that I have read about the NATS is, that where the biggest and best fly against the best. Why are we taking the NATS down a level to just an any old event... I know that my thought is a small one against the mass, but I would like to see an event that I can fly 30-40 rounds of a class and see just WHO IS THE BEST. Anyone can get lucky in 10 rounds, I know that I have, I showed that in Houston, TX in the fall. If we take all these classes that everyone wants to fly, we will never see who the best is, and not just another event flown.
Even AMA doesn't accept all the events that the RCCA is going to fly, I personally think that we are killing the sport for new comers to the sport, no one in their right mind can keep up with all the classes that the RCCA is coming up with. Why can't the NATS be what it is intended for, the best of the best, fly three classes, 1: scale 2: open and 3: ssc for new comers to the sport to get more active members.

Just a thought and I know that I am out voted in this matter, but I believe in the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid). Lets get back to the roots of combat and grow the sport.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
montague

Post by montague »

The problem with flying that many rounds in one contest is that the winner will be decided more by who has more airplanes than by who's the best pilot. Even with 10 rounds, you have to be seriously deep in gear to be competitive.

And frankly, in 10 rounds, you can count on everyone having at least 1 bad round, even the best.

And yes, at the top, luck does play a part in winning. But not the way most guys think. It's not luck in getting cuts, it's often luck in not getting blind-sided in a mid-air 30 seconds in to a round. Or flying great, and watching all your targets mid-air out so you're left with 2min left and nothing to do but put on a pattern contest. These things happen, but even in 10 rounds they even out pretty well.

With as many rounds as you suggest, there is still luck, but the luck will be in keeping your gear running well enough for that many rounds, assuming you don't bring a ton of aircraft and parts. And you'll need everyone else to keep their gear running so you have targets to chase.

If you look at who winds up in the top handful at the major events, you'll see that doing it consistantly isn't luck at all.

Winning once is great and all, but being a threat to win at any contest you fly in, that's what it's all about.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”