Night flying at the Nats

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

Vapor

Night flying at the Nats

Post by Vapor »

Night flying and night flying competition have become a Combat Nats tradition, however while I don't wish to stop this, or dampen any spirits or expectations of the Nats, I do want to inform you that I have been getting regular Emails from AMA HQ exclamating the importance of safety. Sorry guys but what I have witnessed in the past does NOT fall under my ideas of what is safe around a croud, especially when many in that croud are drinking while watching, or are young children oblivious to the dangers that may head their way. Heres the deal, I will say nothing if someone steps up and takes responsibility for at least some minimal organization, such as keeping the spectators a safe distance back,having a minimal pit area that is somehow well lit (to fuel and launch), and making sure all the kids are accounted for in a specified area.( this would fall under keeping the spectators at a safe distance).If someone doesn't step up and assume responsibility then I will attempt to get permission from HQ and who knows what they will say? Please be thinking about it and give me your ideas. This is a serious subject, so please only responses that are serious and also from those who fly, if you don't fly and don't feel safe you have the option to re-locate to a safe place---------rick
Ten-man

Post by Ten-man »

So we can still drink beer while flying right????
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Don
I think that how night flying got started. ?? Seem like a good idea at the time.

Can't make it this year. Good luck night prowlers.

Ron
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

I plan to fly night combat this year. I observed last years sorties and the pilots flew far enough away from the spectators that I did not perceive any danger. I will be glad to step up and make sure safe distances are maintained. I have flown night combat on 3 different occasions since the NATS with no safety issues at all.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I've got a bunch of glow sticks and am looking forward to some night combat again!
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

That puts you in charge Dave! Good luck & have fun-------rick
Ten-man

Post by Ten-man »

So we can still drink beer and fly right????
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

AMA Safety Code:
9. I will not operate my model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or within eight (8) hours of having consumed alcohol.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

So I have to wait 8 hours after I fly before I can drink?
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I think 6 hours----------
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

This going to take some serious scheduling...I may have to start a spread sheet to make sure I dont miss any opportunities.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />So I have to wait 8 hours after I fly before I can drink?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">That's the Wisconsin favorite, Lee ... beer on Wheaties! Breakfast of Champions!</font id="size2">
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">AMA Safety Code:
9. I will not operate my model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or within eight (8) hours of having consumed alcohol.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think this means you have to stop drinking at 2 in the morning!
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Newbie to the Nats, what are we flying at night, open or limited ships? Want to make sure i have the right setup...
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

SSC is the regular night flyer. It seems like an open ship at night!

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”