2009 RC Combat NATS planning meeting

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

2009 RC Combat NATS planning meeting

Post by boiler »

The planning meeting for next years NATS will be September 27th. I think Rick and myself will both attend the Muncie meeting.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Meeting went well today. Here are the dates to the 2009 RC Combat NATS. July 3-6. We get a weekend again and it is at least a 3 day weekend for most. I remember a number of years ago when we flew night combat at the NATS and fireworks were going off all around in the distant sky. It was really a neat sight.

The schedule for the NATS will be:

July 3 five rounds of SSC followed by five rounds of Open B.
July 4 five rounds of SSC followed by five rounds of Open B.
July 5 (6-7) rounds of 2548 followed by five rounds of Limited B followed by pizza at the field
July 6 remaining rounds of 2548 followed by 5 rounds of Limited B
Time for 3696 and 1/2A demos after each days activities

Schedule subject to change if we have rain problems. Every effort will be made to get in 10 rounds of each event.

Start making vacation day plans and scheduling your mid-summer meets so you can make the NATS this time.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Bob and Rick,

Thanks for attending the meeting, getting the plans set up, and all that you've done to put on the contest. The NATs has been a great contest, and I'm sure next years' will be more of the same. Hope to see everyone there! [:)]
AIM

Post by AIM »

Not really complaining here, nor do I wish to suggest that changes be made to the schedule but simply asking a question.

Is the AMA NATS schedule so full that the fourth of July weekend is all that is open?
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Actually two things. The short answer is Yes! The other answer is that We (RCCA) have no choice in the dates as they are set 2years in advance and by the AMA Nats manager and the AMA CD's-- Ron Morgan, Wayne Yeager and Al Williamson--------rick
lightning

Post by lightning »

I think having the Combat Nats over the July 4th holiday is going to be a two-edged sword:
It's going to result in the loss of some pilots who traditionally spend that weekend with families....
BUT
It may result in INCREASED attendance from some who would not normally be able to take a four day work vacation.
I guess we will see which way it works out.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

We've had it over the 4th before during some of our highest attended Nats.
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

It may be a 4 day weekend for some, but now I have to take 4 days vacation if I want to fly SSC and Lim B. Before I only needed to take 2 days. Some of us are not lucky to have this date as a holiday. I work retail and manage a store and we only get Thanksgiving and Christmas as a payed holiday. The rest of the time is just normal days. The only thing that I might be able to do is fly SSC and Open B with my Lim B planes.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Since we have no control over that matter. It sounds like a good plan Sparky. Who knows, you may be the one to get a 700+ round with a muffler in Open B instead of Don Geezer Veres.[;)] Let's hope this year lighting doesn't strike twice.[:0]
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fred420</i>
<br />It may be a 4 day weekend for some, but now I have to take 4 days vacation if I want to fly SSC and Lim B. Before I only needed to take 2 days. Some of us are not lucky to have this date as a holiday.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Dave,

You're right, it worked out great before when both Limited classes were on the same days because you could fly both events in 2 days. If SSC and LimB stay spread over 4 days it's harder for pilots that fly Limited events or Open Events to justify the trip.

Hope to see you all there [8D]
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

I just started to send in my registration fees for the Nat's, and I have a question that I have not seen addressed in a forum yet.

By moving SSC to an "Official Class" I see that it will now cost me $45.00 more to fly in this class. So.....my total cost have gone up AND it will cost me an extra day of vacation. [:(]

What did we gain by this change in class? And how will we, RCCA, benifit from it?

I am going to fly SSC, and Open B with my Lim B planes, I will be the streamer tug [:p]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Dave, it should not cost $45 more. Basic registration is $45 with a $5 discount if done in Feb. Before you only had a non official registration that cost $10. It should be only $30 more since you don't pay the $10 for non official if entered in official events.Those are the AMA costs. The RCCA registration fee is $15 per event to help cover the costs of streamers and awards. That is sent to the AMA and they send us a check for the total after the end of the NATS. The amount that you sent should have been $70 total.

The average AMA member has no idea that the RCCA exists. Having SSC as an AMA event at least shows them and entry level of combat which has a set of rules in the AMA rulebook. If we could modify the open B rules to allow for limitations in the next rules change cycle, Limited B could also be a rule book event which would make it easier to schedule on the same days as SSC.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”