NATS-winning AVENGERs and others

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

NATS-winning AVENGERs and others

Post by sgilkey »

AVENGER 1072 swept the top three spots, flown by my son Brian as well as Eric Wenger and Tom Neff, in Open B at this year's NATS. There were lots of competitive planes at this year's NATS, but if you feel yours is not quite up-to-snuff, here's how you can have a top-notch competitive airplane for yourself, based on our set-up:

AVENGER 1072 built exactly per the instructions, no magic/secret tricks, balanced on the TEAM-recommended spot; Webra with Ky MCP and APC 9x3 prop; PowerMaster 15% (blend of heli and sport fuels for a little more oil and that sweet purple color); OS 8 plug; dual aileron servos with all full-size gear (except throttle, we used a mini here, and a couple of wings I built with HS85MGs that I had, but the wings with dual S3003 fly exactly the same, S3003 on elevator); 400 mah 5-cell NiMh from cheapbatterypacks.com; Hitec HFS-04MG single-conversion Rx; packing tape seal over aileron gap. All-up weight 3.2-3.3 lbs. Eric and Tom, I believe, both use OS FX engines, which are plenty of power and pull the plane with great authority, and Eric I believe uses a single aileron servo (not sure about Tom), so a single aileron servo can work- we just went with duals to be sure we did not have any flutter issues.

For SSC, Brian flew sscAVENGERs. These planes took second and fourth at the NATS. The sscAVENGER flies just like its big brother- smooth, stable, predictable, and forgiving. Our set-up was again built exactly per factory instructions, balanced on rear-most recommended spot; 15LA on suction, backplate sealed with Hilomar and screws with blue loctite, OS 8 plug and 5% Byron's fuel. All standard servos (either S148 or S3003, even on throttle, single aileron servo); HFS-04MG single-conversion Rx; 4-cell 400 mah NiMh; all-up weight about 1-1.5 ounces over minimum.

For 2610 and 2548, Brian flew the Hat Trick Fulmar/Battle, with either Webra or 25FX power. This design, though around for a LONG time, is still a superb plane. We had to add some prop spinner nuts and/or coins to ballast up the planes to 2548 min wt. Being near min wt. probably helped with speed and vertical compared to some of the other planes. Brian only flew FXs in 2548, using the MA 10x4 at about 14.7-14.9k on OS 8 plug and PowerMaster 15%.

Brian has been simply thrilled with the performance and flying attributes of his AVENGERs (1072 and SSC) this season, they are so smooth and easy to fly even I can handle them! In fact, his 8 year old brother Eric has also flown the sscAvenger several times and flew it with no problems (he's not quite ready for the speed of a B ship). If you're in the market for a combat kit and you have not tried these planes, give 'em a try, you'll be pleased, and if you have any questions on building or set-up, visit the teamseaholm.com website where you will get plenty of help from other AVENGER drivers.
watchyerback

Post by watchyerback »

The way Brian flies (not taking away from the Avenger)he could be flying a Thermos with cardboard wings weighing in at 10lbs. and still beat the Brake Shoes off me[:D]. I can't wait till he get's a girl friend and maybe we'll have a chance[:p]. I was purely in AWE of the way Brian effortlessly dominated.
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

I second that opinion!!! Brian is the best Combat pilot I have ever seen. Kirk gets my vote for a VERY, VERY close 2nd. [;)]

Scott, please let Brian out of the house more... He does need to expand his experiences with girls, cars, sports and anything else that might take his mind off of gobbling up the competitions streamers in lightning quick fashion!!!! [:D]

Hope we get another chance to face off in the future. Maybe my Battle Axe and stick fingers will put up a better fight. Best of luck!!
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

D & D,

Can't the AVENGER get even a little love?

2002 OPEN B AMA National Champ - A.J. Seaholm
2003 OPEN B AMA Runner Up - A.J. Seaholm
2004 OPEN B AMA National Champ - Eric Wenger
2004 OPEN B AMA Runner Up - A.J. Seaholm
2005 OPEN B AMA National Champ - Brian Gilkey
2005 OPEN B AMA Runner Up - Eric Wenger
2005 OPEN B AMA 2nd Runner Up - Tom Neff

Somewhere in there the plane had to have helped a little. Okay, probably not with Eric, Brian or Tom... [:D]

In all seriousness, I'm thrilled the pilots were successful with the AVENGERs. It's very exciting and rejuvinating to see people having success. Way to go everyone and again it makes me glad I'm retired. [8D]

Enjoyed hanging out and meeting all 6 of the D's on Thursday, even finally met D'Lou. [:D] Good times. It was good to see old friends and meet the new crazies...

"That's not a pocket knife..."
watchyerback

Post by watchyerback »

A.J., Your planes are great. We weren't taking pot shots at them.[;)] They are deadly when met in the air. I think one of the shots that Mineart took has my battle axe just after meeting with (I think) Feathers. Feathers kept flying and I lost the aileron and the servo. The scores speak for themselves what the Avenger is about in the right hands.

It was great meeting you in person and putting a face with the name. I hope the Pylon racing was good to you. And your right..."That is no pocket knife".

I look forward to running across you again and good luck with Jr in the fall. I wish you and yours the best.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by watchyerback</i>
<br />I think one of the shots that Mineart took has my battle axe just after meeting with (I think) Feathers. Feathers kept flying and I lost the aileron and the servo.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Of course it could have easily wound up the other way around.
watchyerback

Post by watchyerback »

Your right Alex. I will attempt not to try and prove or disprove which plane is stronger. I look forward to seeing how the "Georgia Derivative" of the Battle Axe matches up with your guys Axes. How many of your local boys are gonna make it?
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

Darin,

No worries, just flipping you guys a little crap. Brian is an EXCEPCTIONALLY gifted pilot backed up by an EXCEPCTIONALLY knowledgable/prepared/handsome (how's that Scott) pit man. [:D]

Good luck the remainder of the season and give em hell. It's new blood like you and David that keep the sport rolling...

Have fun, fly hard!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

AJ,

How'd you do in the Pylon Races? We had to leave quickly to get home and didn't get a chance to swing by.

Ed
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Darin,

It's been really sparse at our field lately (the heat??). Besides my dad and me, there is one other guy that plans to come. I hope I'll see some people this week to bring along.

When it's a little cooler we usually have 20 guys at the field on Saturday and Sunday. I think the heat's keeping people inside?

Is your whole wing covered in Bi-di, and the hinge, top and bottom? Did you actually lose the whole aileron? Never seen that on <i>any</i> combat plane.
watchyerback

Post by watchyerback »

Alex, I bi-di the leading edge and over the spars (top/bottom). I didn't loose the whole aileron just the use of it. The control rod was almost tied in a knot. Servo stripped out and a chunk taken out of the aileron just behind the control horn. I make my hinges with bi-di but the hinge doesn't run the length of the wing. You need to tell your local crew that it ain't gonna get any cooler till late September.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

We Bi-Di the whole wing and the hinge full length, top and bottom. The wing can really take a beating when fully armored like this. As a matter of personal preferance we then add low heat covering but it's not neccessary since the wing is completely covered in Bi-di.

Except for the occasional hit in a midair, I find I bend more of my 2-56 pushrods while installing the rubber bands.[:)]
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

FYI. . . BIDI tape when exposed to UV from the sun turns brittle very soon. At least in Texas within one flying season. so it's best to cover it with something for UV protection.
danpow1973

Post by danpow1973 »

After about 3 heats in The Texas Sun I turn Brittle. I cover myself With UV Protecting Sunblock..................When Avalable I Jump in the lake between Rounds......LOL
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

The plane is DEFINITELY a big factor- Brian's been competing at the NATS for 4 years now, and while his flying skills improve every year, this year was a big jump up and a huge part of it was due to the planes, no doubt. He has no problem admitting the AVENGERS made for a big upgrade in his capabilities. He couldn't crack 10th at NATS in SSC and last year I think he got third in B, moving up to thoroughly modern AVENGER airframes was a huge help for this season.

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”