My plane is better than yours because,its smaller

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

I went to SUSA'S site and the Escape is not yet listed, or I could not find it. How much to your door??

I'm sure you have been shopping chargers along with your batterys. Some of the knock off Bantam chargers are looking pretty good, in the 70.00 range with all the plugs you can use, and balance taps for all the popular stuff, built in power supply and I think will push 10 amps.

5C charge rate - does that mean you can charge a 1000ma pack at 5 amps??
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I have two of the Turnigy 8s 150a chargers. They are about $80. Good value. I can give you a link if you like.

Slick pylon racer Brian. I have something similar that I got from Mike Willcox. Perfect for the ARC 1.5. I`ll post some pics.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Yes, the 28-47-1.5 would be great, or better yet his 28-58-1, that would be a monster. I went all out and ordered a neu 1112-2D for this project, waited 2.5 monthes, but i think its going to be worth it. The weakest part of my setup will likely be my speed control, I would think about getting a CC80 if i could get a really really good deal on it, but i don't think thats going to happen

Yeah mike, i don't think its listed. Infact, im afraid they are sold out, within a day of them being in stock i heard they sold out because one guy bought 4! They are 199 dollars for the kit, and a steep 30 bucks for shipping, so call it 230 to your door. By no means cheap, but compared to other similar models it is a good deal.

I actually don't have a fancy charger. We do have a triton 2, but it never worked, so i always use our triton 1. I dont really understand the balancer thing, i don't know what kind of tab all of our cheap batteries have. I just plug in the deans and let the charger go to town. Its worked like a charm so far, knock on wood.

And yes, you could charge a 1 Ah pack at 5amps with a 5C pack, in other words it would be charger in 15 minutes or so!
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

You'll see better run times if you start balancing your packs. It just keeps all the cells at an even voltage. Before I got balancers for my charger I was just hitting them with a Deans jumper too, and it worked. I feel better using the balancer.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Well, i've done some checking, because i was looking into a balancer before. All my packs came off the charger at between 4.19 and 4.2 V/cell, not much of a difference if you ask me...maybe i would see a difference. I never fly my packs below about 60% capacity anyway, so its not much of a worry for me. Im more worried about the cycle life being affected.

There are many things to read on RCgroups. Some people swear by balancing, others like me have never had to and never had a problem. Same goes for "lipo break in", some say it has to happen to help the cells in, i have never done this, and i've never had a problem. My 30C cells from HC must have 50+ cycles at this point of abuse after abuse, and they are still holding greater then 3.5V/cell even under a 20C+ load, which is pretty unusual.

One time i flew a pack too low, it was a 2200 mAh pack, and i think it took back about 2150 mAh, when i landed the difference in cell voltage was about .2 V, which is very very large! But once attached to the triton it came off the charger at 4.2V/cell straight across the board. So there must be some balancing quality even when just using the deans.

PS, for all those interested in hipo electrics, I would swear by my "Zippy-H" 30-40C 2500 mAh cells from HC. Even when flying in my mini russian wing which draws 60 amps static (which probably drops to around 50 in flight), They come down warm to the touch, and don't show any noticeable decrease in power, even through a 3-4 min flight which drains about 80% of their capacity. They are awesome packs and i would recommend them to everyone!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

the anal retentive side of me would feel much better if we were balancing our packs. would really like to find a balancing connector (at a minimum) that would allow us to balance the packs by individually charging each cell, which could be done on a periodic basis. Or even better, an inexpensive topper-upper like an Astro blinky or Great Planes equinox. you should find one of those, dork.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

I use the Astro Blinky, it works great and 2-6 cells------rick
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

I use the Equinox balancer.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mike/Rick, how do you sort out the balancing connectors? Is there a chart that shows which brand of batteries uses which type of connector? We have batts from several different sources. Also, how do you handle packs that did not come with a balancing connector? Thanks
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Scott, the Blinky just has 7 pins--no housing, all balancing plugs have a black wire indicting the neg. pole and the Blinky's neg. end is marked----you always plug it in from the neg. end. Very simple to figure after doing it only once. All my packs have balance plugs and if not then add one.I dissect old computers for the good parts and they all have lots of R/C type plugs in 3-4-5 pins, you need 3 pins for a 2 cell, 4 pins for a 3 cell etc. just start at the neg. end and solder a black lead then a wire at each connection in order to the pos. end. Wire colors don't matter accept the black one to identify the neg. Also by trimming off the tang you can make almost any balance plug work with any balancer. The rule is to plug in starting at the neg. end. --------rick
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

THe equinox has pig different pig tails for different applications.2s,3s and available for all popular brands. I'm not sure but I think there's only two different plug styles on li-pos,E-Flight and Thunder Power. TP is a smaller plug.

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”