Zapdos OpenB SSC design

Want to unload some combat equipment? Here's the place to do it.

Moderator: hbartel

Big Dog

Zapdos OpenB SSC design

Post by Big Dog »

I have about 10 Zapdos kits cut and ready for shipping. $60.00each plus actual shipping costs. These are still from hand cut templates (meaning they may have minor imperfections from hand cutting)and I am looking for builders that will give feedback as to any improvments prior to having parts cnc cut. You can contact me on my email at cccdad@bellsouth.net if interested. I have motor mounts designed for IC for Open B and SSC. An ESSC mount is in the works.

I am also looking for quotes for wing core and Fuselage part cnc cutting?
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
DSDS

Re: Zapdos OpenB SSC design

Post by DSDS »

Can you post a photo of a zapdos? I might want one ?
dbronst3790

Post by dbronst3790 »

Need pictures!
Danny Bronstein
RCCA# 961
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I am not very photo savy on this site. Hopefully this works.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
midair02

Post by midair02 »

Here's a easier to view pic for you Big Dog.
PICT0667small5075.jpg
PICT0667small5075.jpg (118.81 KiB) Viewed 13358 times

I hope nobody around here buys any. :wink: I might have to go back to the drawing board to keep up, cause those things are fast!!! :twisted:
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Bill thanks for the review
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Can you change the wing out after a hit or is the fuse glued into the wing halves? If you are going to build a few wings you could call Roid and see if he is ready to sell off his cutter, he certainly is not using it much these days.
Sean #838
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

The wing halves are glued to the fuse.. Though William managed to put the midair survivabilty to the test.There was at least 4 midairs in one round with Zapdos. based on my repairs I have replaced 1 wing as long as the spars are in tact. The wooden front spar repairs easily with a scarf joint. I have even had a complete wing shear off and repaired it by pulling the broken spars out of the wing halves and putting in new spars and glue the foam core back in place. it was easier to do than when I first looked at the damage. My worst damage has come in SSC But The Apopka contest really put the durabilty to the test. and I belive Zapdos handled the puishment well and all airframes will be repaired for the next contest. I am still flying my prototype and it has been repaired several times.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

The cost and shipping might be an issue but I am always intersted in new tools. If the price was right I could also contract out the wings to someone that has a cutter. (Hint Bids are welcome) that way I would not have to hunt down foam either. Its not that easy to get in FL and the price fluctuates greatly with shipping.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I did not have much luck with my tanks in the wings like that, that seems to be the spot the hard hits gather for me. I love how clean it looks but i got away from that style motormount as well, kept breaking the g10 at the mount. Makes me think i may be a little hard on things...

Nice looking setup!
Sean #838
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Actually the weak link should be the motor mount. I have not broke any G10 yet. SSC a 4oz tank will fit on the side of the fuse, but open b the motor sits to far back to get the tank in line with carb and I was getting crappy runs from the motor, so I went bubbless. Love the motor runs with a bubbless and also easily adaptable for a bladder if you like nitro baths. The orignal intent is for this to be electric and the battery(s) will sit in the wing. I have the first mocked up now but I still have to prototype the motor mount. All My SSC planes have lead on them to make Min weight.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

BTW I am down to 4 kits left for the Beta Run.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it