OS LA .15's finicky?

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

O.K. let me throw in another problem. About 2 minutes into flight with a blabber, I hear my RPM's drop about 1000 to 2000. Whats up with that?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Did you launch a little rich? If not, that is what was wrong. You should tach about 300 rpm less than peak at launch.
caverjoe

Post by caverjoe »

Although I like the OS 15 LA, I normally get 18,600 out of them, I had a AP engine that turned 20,600. Sorry, I can only fly club combat and we do not inforce the rpm limit. Hoping to get some where, where I can fly against other RCCA members some day. Do not have back plate nor foaming problems. Also never wore out an engine, while flying 100's of sorties a year.
jj

Post by jj »

Darryl,

Are you running a pressure regulator in line with the bladder?

If not, that may be part of the problem. Depending on what you have your bladder mounted in the pressure can vary throughout the run and actually drop off significantly as the tubing bulge starts getting smaller. A regulator that keeps the flow dripping fairly evenly should minimize that and make needle settings easier.
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

JJ
Yes, I am running with a regulator. But I've tried it without, with the same results. I think that Bob probably hit the nail on the head. I haven't flown since these post have been out due to weather & employee problems. The weather I can't do any thing about, but the employees have seem the bad storms within me. ;-) Next time out I am going to richen up a bit.........
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

Daryl next time you see Darin and I fly, take note of how rich we launch. We tach about 16,800 at launch and will be as fast as most any plane in the air. We seldom have any lag issues launching this fat.
wcrane

Post by wcrane »

Got tired of screwing with that stinkin Norvel exhaust so I bought an LA 15 this week. Took it to the field after doin the heat treat runs and I was getting over 17,5 on it with the 8x3. What do you do to keep the RPM down under 17,5? Probably won't have to worry in a couple runs, but it was doing good that flight.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Clean Man, that's not unusual. I've tached at meets and seen 19K several times. Reducing the nitro helps but most are using the radio ATV to close the throttle somewhat. On crisp cool mornings most of them will tach over 17.5 on 15% fuel.

For a cheap engine they run pretty good.[^]
boiler

Post by boiler »

I only use 5% nito and they tach about 17.4 to 17.5 in most weather. On rare occasion I've had to use the atv or epa to reduce the throw on the throttle servo to close the barrel of the carb.
RH

Post by RH »

I have a couple of LAs with lots of rounds on them and they will still tach 17.5 depending on what fuel I'm using. I use clunk tanks, have the plastic back plate sealed with RTV, all the original screws Locktited and the original needle valves. The baffle in the muffler is gone. They always run well. Finaky? Not in my book. IMO the finaky ones are on bladders.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Randy, I'm also running clunk tanks with the muffler drilled out to 3/8 of an inch and the stinger drilled out to match the Magnum. Like you, if a problem comes up that I can't find a fast fix for, I slap a bladder in a temporary compartment where the tank used to be.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

...........LA.15, what a good little engine. I have no gripes at all about mine. They make more than enough rpm's that are easy to control with the servo travel function on my transmiter,and are not "finicky" at all.........even on a bladder[:D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Ditto