Legal Props

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

flrglock

Legal Props

Post by flrglock »

I went to buy some 8x3 props for my New B2 avengers,(that are due to arrive this week), and noticed that Master Airscrew has a black 8x3 G/F prop. My LHS didn't have the Blue/Green prop-
Is this prop legal? Are there any other props legal for SSC (APC, etc) or is the Master Airscrew Blue/Green 8x3 Prop it[?]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Right now the old style 8/3 MA that is blue is the only prop that should be used at contests. For general flying/testing , the 8/3GF should be about the same.

I don`t know about the 8/3, but on the 10/4 which is being used in 2548 and Limited B, MA is phasing out the old style and will only make the GF series from here on out. We will have to adjust the rules to deal with this.
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

flrglock
There will be Glowplug boy there selling blue prop at the field. If you are coming to LSN.
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

I get my props from Tower. The web site shows them in Black, but all that they have is Blue in 8x3...
Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe »

We have started using nylon 8x4 props on our La15s in SSC here in Perth.

Speed is about the same but prop strike damage is way down with the floppy nylon prop. Another benefit comes from keeping your engine running for the whole bout because half your prop is not stuck in the other guy's wing after a midair.

I'm finishing many more bouts now and collecting flight points than what I did with the much more rigid MAS 8x3 prop.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Joe, what brand of soft nylon props are you guys using? I used to use Grish, but they are apparently out of business.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

MA made the 8x3 in black before they started making blue at the request of RCCA. The old black 8x3 is the same prop and to my understanding there is nothing in the rules that says you can't use the black prop. Theoretically there should be no difference, they come from the same mold, just different color. when the blue props came out there was some thought that they actually tached lower inferring they were probably stiffer, but i have seen no definitive data on this. It may have just been typical lot-to-lot variation in props, which can be considerable.

The 8x3 we use for SSC is the MA "G/F" series. The "new" MA props such as the 9x4 we all know and love for combat are called "G/F 3" series. MA does not currently list the 8x3 in the "G/F 3" series, it is still the old "G/F" series. Since I would suspect 95% of MAs volume in this oddball prop size is for combat fliers, I would guess they would keep the "G/F" around for our use if asked. Anybody have an "in" with MA? if not, I would be glad to call them to discuss this.

The 10x4 is another issue, it does indeed appear that MA has dropped the "G/F" and only lists the "G/F 3" in that size. Has anybody tried the new prop, it may be a non-issue but would be good to do some testing with it. Or again we could ask MA if they will make special runs of the old prop, as apparently they have offered to do with the "old" G/F 9x4.
Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe »

Re the MAS 8x3 props: I found the blue prop broke a lot easier than the black one did here in our hot & dry Perth climate. It was quite soul destroying to go through 5 or 6 props in a comp with the blue props.

Re nylon 8x4 props, we are using the Kavan yellow nylon prop. It is very "floppy" but does the job.

I've gone through two competitions now (12 rounds) with one yellow Kavan 8x4 nylon prop. I'll defy anyone to do that with an MAS 8x3 grp prop. And I finished most of the rounds too.
wcrane

Post by wcrane »

Where can I get some of them purty blue props in KC? The only MA 8x3 prop I have is black. Lord help me, I don't have to buy one from that terror of the skies AJ Seaholm, do I?
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

All aircraft will use a non-modified Master Airscrew 8 x 3 prop.
This is what it states in the rules listed on this site. It doesn't
say anything about color.My interpretation was that the blue props were used to make it easier on the C.D. Unless the rules were changed
and not put in the rules it would be legal.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by combatgoblin</i>
<br />All aircraft will use a non-modified Master Airscrew 8 x 3 prop.
This is what it states in the rules listed on this site. It doesn't
say anything about color.My interpretation was that the blue props were used to make it easier on the C.D. Unless the rules were changed
and not put in the rules it would be legal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Correct. Lou Melancon was able to get them to use a distintive color so it was easy on the CDs.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

I wonder what happened to that character, Melancon?

He used to grace this forum with his presence on a regular basis. It worries me when he's this quiet. Hafta wonder what he's up to[8D]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I called him from the LSN to rattle his cage about not showing up, right from the pits with the snarling Open B ships revving up[:D]

Speaking of not showing up, I don't think any of the Ds of Death darkened our doorways last weekend. Wonder what happened to them[}:)] I guess the thought of flying against the Three Tenners and Dane and Eric was too much for them[;)]
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

Just got an order of 8x3s from Tower. They are GF-2 SERIES& they are charcoal in color. I called Master Airscrew to see about the color change & they said that they have been unable to get the Blue. So now instead of the Blue , they have printed on the props "MASTER AIRSCREW COMBAT". Happy Flying!