Current (Summer `09) E-SSC Power Systems

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

dbronst3790

Post by dbronst3790 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Which_way_is_up</i>
<br />Danny, it looks like you've got a winner there! [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Roy. We'll see how she does in action at the Pear Harbor Classic next month.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

My Me-110 runs on two of the 3536/1400s and I'm getting 18.3+ off a shared 4S 5000, so I'm very interested in your experiments to see if you come up with the optimal battery size for an SSC bird
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Lee,
If I use two 35-30-1100 motors @18.500 rpm 6s 20c battery how many mah will I need to get 5 min?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

about 3500 minimum, but I`d suggest at least 4000mah.
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Thanks Lee that is the answer I wanted to hear.

Don
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Glad to help Don. Post spme pics of your twin when you get er done.
dbronst3790

Post by dbronst3790 »

e-Axe update:

Got the new battery, Turnigy 4s 2,650mAh and a Turnigy Plush 30amp ESC with built-in BEC.

Total price of the e-power system:

Battery - Turnigy 4s 2,650mAh - $23.99
ESC - Turnigy Plush 30amp w/BEC - $18.49
Motor -Turnigy SK 35-30 1400 - $18.62

Total - $61.10

Now, I did buy three batteries to keep a fully-charged rotation ready to go. I expect to be able to recharge a battery in about 20-30 minutes and with the varying time between rounds I wanted to be safe. So the initial cost is a bit higher. Basically, with batteries you prepay for your fuel.

Also, we figured out a way to remove the battery from the wing without having to remove the wing from the plane. We cut a shallow 45 degree wedge on the bottom side of the wing at the end of the battery cutout and wrapped some strapping tape around the battery to use as a pull.

To remove the battery, from the top side of the wing you just press the end of the battery down and pull the strap and the battery slides out along the 45 degree wedge. The battery is also easily re-inserted.

Now we just need to see how it holds up in combat!

Here is the final configuration and specifications:

Configuration
Motor: Turnigy SK 35-30-1400
Battery: Turnigy 4s 2,650mAh
ESC: Turnigy Plush w/BEC 30amp
Servos: Hitec HS-65MG

Specifications
AUW: 45.6 oz (Dropped from 49.3 with new battery and ESC)
Prop: 8 x 3 combat
Amps: 23.5
Watts: 357
RPM: 17,300

Battery
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=9182

ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... Controller

Motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... 0Kv_/_470w
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Sounds good, Danny. Just be careful with the ESC-that doesn't show to be a switching type, and might have some problems running with 4 cells. I'm using the inexpensive UBEC's on mine.
dbronst3790

Post by dbronst3790 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crash_out</i>
<br />Sounds good, Danny. Just be careful with the ESC-that doesn't show to be a switching type, and might have some problems running with 4 cells. I'm using the inexpensive UBEC's on mine.

Yes, you do need to be aware of the ESCs BEC output capability.

The Turnigy Plush 30amp ESC has a linear vs. switching mode BEC which is capable of powering up-to 3 standard micro servos at 5v using a 4s lipo battery. The e-Axe uses 2 servos.

Thanks for bringing this up as it is an important factor when selecting an appropriate ESC.
jj

Post by jj »

Any suggestions on mounting 5 cells in wings?

I am planning on the 3 + 2 LiPo combo but trying to figure the best way to mount those in an eFalcon. Debating sideways vs flat mounting etc.

Would appreciate any advice so I don't find out I've made the same mistake others have figured out before.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Mounted flat the 3s will be almost flush with the airfoil, but the hole has to be larger if you go the flat route. Mounted verticle, they will stick up a little, but it doesn`t seem to affect the performance.

Or you could mount one in the wing and one on the fuse like my pics of the Cobra. Lots of ways to skin the cat John, but they all work fine.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On the contrary, I like the sound of an E-falcon

OMG....you guys who fly the Northern circut are dead meat if that ever happens. You can`t even keep up with Gilkeys flying those Slimevengers.[:0]
Arent those the planes with TANGLEFOOT or HONEY on them...[;)]

As for the e Avenger ? I had too stop my testing do too my 3rd layoff this year[:(!]

Otherwise a slimevenger would have made a trip down there more than once this year... since I could only find time twice too fly!

But thanks for the reminder Lee, I should should just hack up my old lipos and get back too testing.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Just to let everyone know, I got a Email from HC about "Cyber Monday" and they were blowing out Flightmax 2200mah 20-30C 3s packs for $11.99!!! This is an amazing deal, and im tempted to get some, even though they are far too weak for what I would use them for!

Like my old man taught me, just because you don't need it doesn't mean you don't buy it! LOL, never pass up a good deal!
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Heres a link to a few batteries that might be interesting...I think the last one is a little on the small side, but its worth a plug anyhow

3s-2200 Flightmax-11.99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6306

2s-2200 Turnigy-8.99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8933

5s-1800mah
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=9454

For those looking to run 5s or 6s the top two are most important. Im fairly certain that you could run the different brands together without too many issues, as they are the same size and "C" rating
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good 20c 1800 6s would work, but 5s would leave you a little low on power near the end of a heat.

At 5000 ft though the 1800 5s should be enough because amp draw will be lower up there.