SSC plane weight

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Hey Paul, removing 4 oz is only going to make your plane end up higher in the trees[:D] but really, we have planes that weigh barely over the minimum and some that are pig heavy(3 1/4 pounds)they all fly well. this is more of a game where you just have to learn to fly the plane and manage energy,i dont think 4 ozs will make much difference. when you build a new plane, just build as light as you can, and fly it however it comes out.a heavier plane will out dive a lighter one to get away, but the lighter one will catch up eventually(usually as soon as you pull out of the dive)call me if you want to get together and fly sometime.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Lighter weight means lower wing loading which means tighter turns. Combat is won and lost in the turns if your are a pursuit type pilot.
Slowfly

Post by Slowfly »

Thanks for all the sugestions guys, sounds like build as light as you can then fly it like you STOLE it [}:)]. Bruce Im working tonight but I'll be at the field Sunday. Se yall at the Richardson event on the 19th.
Slowfly

Post by Slowfly »

What size batteries is everyone using? I found some 400 mah AAA Nmh that are only 1 ounce for a 4.8V pack. Is this enough or will I have to charge between rounds?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Hi Paul,

I used to fly a 370 mAh Ni-Cad. It was ok, but sometimes I would have to charge at all-day contests.

I since switched to 750 mAh Ni-MH packs, and go all day without charging. To me the extra ounce over a 400 mAh Ni-MH is worth not worrying about running out of juice or missing a round because I forgot to charge between rounds. Just my personal preference. As long as you check your battery periodically and make sure to charge it either is fine.
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

I use the 5 cell 300 nimh in SSC and a 5 cell 600 nimh in Lim B. These are the batteries from the firebird airplane. I usally do not have to recharge during 8 or 10 rounds.
Papabear1

Post by Papabear1 »

Slowfly wrote:What size batteries is everyone using? I found some 400 mah AAA Nmh that are only 1 ounce for a 4.8V pack. Is this enough or will I have to charge between rounds?
I don't have many more rounds in than you do, but I like to hook my battery up to the charger between rounds if it needs it or not. That kind of routine keeps me from forgetting to charge or check my batteries. Having a set routine for fueling, charging, starting and all helps me out and let's me concentrate on flying. Of course I'm the kind of guy who is completely organized or totally out of whack, no in between. My wife is sure I'm AD... Oh look a butterfly.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I buy 800-1000 mah NiMh AAA to build my receiver packs from the photo department of Wal Mart. Charge them the day before I go to a meet on the little over night charger. Never have to recharge at the field. I built a 2400 Mah pack for my TX so I can go two days at a meet without worry.
jj

Re: SSC plane weight

Post by jj »

Weight is important for very tight turning, but tuning your plane correctly is just as important. Also reliability is more important than saving an ounce or two. Still, the best pilots won't be more than 2-4 oz over minimums unless it is a backup plane.

What is probably most important is having all your planes fly the same. You need to be able to know that each plane you bring to a contest will fly a certain way and know those limits. Take a look at the planes of the top pilots. All will be nearly identical.

You don't need to worry about that for the first year or so of contests. Just fly and have fun, but as you start building up a fleet for winning, then start focusing on having multiple planes, all flying the same and within 4 oz of min weight for SSC.

BTW weight is slightly less important on Open B planes.
jj (John J)
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/JJ-John-Jaugilas/P40RightThumb.thumb.jpg[/img]
Crosswinds R/C club
12th Pursuit Squadron
RCCA #579 AMA #9474