SSC electric Batteries - NanoTechs

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

dditch

SSC electric Batteries - NanoTechs

Post by dditch »

For my first 2 contests I'd used Blue Lipo or Turnigy batteries. I had 3 good pairs so I used 1 or 2 chargers during the contest.
I now have a better charger that I can charge 2 in parallel at up to 30A (more than enough needed.)
I have been trying out the Turnigy Nanotech 25C 3S 2200mAh batteries and they have been doing well.
Saturday I flew SSC combat 6 rounds and used the same 2 batteries for 5 of the 6 rounds. 5th and 6th rounds were back to back and a Mid-air took my #1 plane out of commission so I used the backup plane with the 2 batteries already installed for round 6.
The nanotechs are actually pretty light for the C rating. As light as my 20C packs. I was charging at 4C and was done in about 7-9 minutes. They were not getting hot so I did not have to let them cool down much at all before starting the charge. If my heat assignments were different I'd probably need 2 pairs to get through with some other back ups.
Dr. Kamakaze

Re: SSC electric Batteries - NanoTechs

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Are the nanotech batteries a new generation of lipo batteries? Do you need a special charger, or just charge and handle them like lipos? I saw William Drumm was going to test some out too in his setup.
Andy Runte aka "Dr. Kamakaze"
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
dditch

Re: SSC electric Batteries - NanoTechs

Post by dditch »

They have some blurb somewhere on HobbyKing about the chemistry but they are rated for 5C charge rate on the 25C packs.
I'm sure other manufacturers like Hyperion are doing something similar or better, Just that HK is selling them cheaper.
I have an iCharger 3010B. Most chargers are rated for max Wattage as well as max Current AND at a certain input voltage..
My 106B+ would do 10A max at 250W at about 12V. With 2 batteries in parallel, that's only like 2.2C charge rate.
One might be better off with 2 of those chargers anyway normally than a single 500W charger so you can charge for alternating rounds.
For my normal flying, I like a backup charger anyway and you don't want to do electric combat with only a 2 sets of batteries anyway.