ESC/BEC problem

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

58combat

ESC/BEC problem

Post by 58combat »

I had an ESC that did not have a built in BEC that I wanted to try on an E-Falcon. I bought a BEC to use with it. I wired my harness as described by dditch. When I plugged in battery 1 it worked fine. When I plugged in battery 2 in a few seconds it popped and smoked and of course no longer worked. Did I do something wrong here? Did I have the wrong type BEC? It was rated at 2-10 cell LiPo max 42 volt dc.

Ben Phillips
RCCA #924
dditch

Re: ESC/BEC problem

Post by dditch »

You wired it wrong. You should have wired it across what you call battery #2. What you call Battery #2, I labled as battery #1 in my diagram. That's the lower 3S battery.

The ESC signal Ground is connected to the lower battery ground and so must the BEC.

Look at my linked file again, you'll see how I have the BEC- wired to Battery 1 connector and that battery 1 connector's GND is wired to the ESC gnd.

Since your BEC can handle 6S, you COULD just wire it Directly to your ESC plug side.
58combat

Re: ESC/BEC problem

Post by 58combat »

Thanks David. If I had a 50/50 chance of doing it wrong I would. I see the error of my ways. I guess that is how you learn!
Ben Phillips
RCCA #924