2548 Demo Scores ?

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

Jimbo

2548 Demo Scores ?

Post by Jimbo »

Ed do you guys keep scores when y'all fly at a contest?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

What you may want to consider is whether scoring has a lot of relevancy to what you are trying to demonstrate. Is it part of your class objectives? Are you going to allow sticky or not? Are you trying to reduce damage, reduce high scores, make it easier for folks to stay involved in combat by ...?

We really haven't kept score officially at this time; rather, we have been focused on getting the planes performing and getting them in people's hands to try. We did do a scale judging run through down at the Cajun Winternationals, and that seems to work out OK.

Keep plugging!
Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ed I think your new class is a bigger project than what Travis and I are trying to do.We don't have to deal with new airframes so we have it easy. My goal is to make a more survivable B class, the rest will follow. I KNOW this will work because it worked all of last season. Travis and I few club combat(a lot) with B planes with totally stock motors and 4 pitch props at about 13K to 15K and just like SSC most of the midairs were survivable.It should work just as good or better with 3 pitch props.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Hmmmmmmmm, That sounds like the B class we used to have, until someone showed up at the Houstone meet several years with three high dollar Jet engines and single handedly started the horsepower race. Two weeks later everyone was running Jet and Nelson mufflers, tuned pipes and mousse cans.

It appears to me one could just look back at what B used to be and do away with all this testing. Or are we just trying to reinvent the wheel?[:(]

CAJUN [8D]
Lone Star Combat State
AMA-CD 174052
RCCA 380
NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS
MY MIND WORKS LIKE LIGHTNING,,ONE BRILLIANT FLASH AND IT'S GONE!!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. There were lots of guys there with tuned mufflers, mouse cans and some with tricked out engines. I didn't start it I just tried to keep up.I was the first with a Jett motor but you can see how that caught on.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I guess the testing is to make sure we have RPM limit where most pilot will like it. We don't want to take all of the excitement out of it by slowing down too much. I don't want it be just another SSC. We already have one of those. It CAN be slowed enough to make it MUCH more survivable and just as exciting as Open

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Jimbo, I don't see anything wrong with slowing down B. As I've told you, already, that's why I quit flying it. It just got too fast.

But, what speed are you shooting for. It seems to me you need to pick a speed to shoot for and then design the parameters to achieve that speed. With most stock B engines, speeds of 60 to 80 MPH are possible depending on the props and the airframe and weight. I don't know if you can do it, successfuly though, without RPM limits. There seems to be a greater variance between speeds in various B engines than in the .15s.

CAJUN [8D]
Lone Star Combat State
AMA-CD 174052
RCCA 380
NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS
MY MIND WORKS LIKE LIGHTNING,,ONE BRILLIANT FLASH AND IT'S GONE!!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Cajun I don't know yet what speed is best. Do you have a suggestion? What do you think we were flying at your first round robin contests. Had we stayed with stock motor, with the kind of planes we fly now days we may still have that RR contest. I only have weekend to do this and we only have two brand names of engines to work with so I'll let you know when I know. I want to start with the APC10x3 MA10x4. MasterAirScrew and APC are worlds apart so that RPM=Speed chart is real world worthless. The airplane has a lot to do with speed, look at the Cobra and Raptor.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”