Will a 4oz last a 2548 round?

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

NAES

Will a 4oz last a 2548 round?

Post by NAES »

It's been so long since I ran a stock .25 that I cannot remember if a 4oz tank w/stock muffler will last out the round. Anyone got a good memory?

wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

I believe that Cash and Ed have both 4 and 6 oz tanks in their plethora of planes, I dont know what Lee is running in his. The 4 oz tanks last about 6 minutes, which is long enough.

Scott

Derfanft's mei Gwand I'fuahr in himmeil
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Yes. I run both of the Mustangs on 4 ounce tanks. It is close, so you might want to go to 6 to be safe. I use a 6 ounce tank on the FW-190D.

Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
lightning

Post by lightning »

4ozs is OK with a stock muffler. Suggest you don't launch right at the start of the 90 sec window. Then cruise around at half throttle until "Start Combat" is called. Do this and you'll have a minute in reserve.
Its the Mousse cans than crank up consumption enough to need a 6oz tank.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I have a six ounce in my Mustang and Hellcat, a 4 ounce in the Hurri, and I forgot what I stuffed in the nose of the 109..The Hurri makes 6-7 minutes at a decent needle with an OS25FX. In fact, I have used 4 ounce tanks in Open B, and just made time even with an aftermarket muffler..

"Furballs are for cats!"
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

In our Limited B trials, we are getting 9 minutes on 6 ounces. The math therefore says 6 minuts on 4 ounces....But that is with 10 inch props at approx. 15k. If you are spinning a 9 incher at 17k or so, even with stock muffler, I think 4 ounces will be marginal, but possible! Just make sure you have a "true" 4 ounces, I think the Hayes tanks are pretty good for capacity, the Great Planes tanks i think usually run a little under advertised capacity. Good luck, let us know how you make out- a 4 ounce tank would be a nice luxury.

Scott Gilkey

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”