OK, you want wing limits.

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

Jimbo

OK, you want wing limits.

Post by Jimbo »

This is the best I can do on wing limits with what I have. I want to include MOST OpenB planes that are on the market NOW.
These are minimums that do not include the ailerons.
Flying Wings:
Center wing thickness=1 3/4" *Tip Thickness=1"
Wing width at Center=13 1/2" *Tip width=6 1/4"

Non Flying wing:
Center Wing thickness=1 5/8" *Tip Thickness=1"
Wing Width at Center=7 5/8" *Tip Width=5"
Max Wing span 72"

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
slam

Post by slam »

just a stupid question.

do you want minimum wing span?

slam
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

No minimum span. As a matter of fact I would like it if we would us a 68" spans max not a 72" but we will have to take a pole. The shorter the wing the less leverage there is on a wing tip impact.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Is that a bean pole! [:D][:o)]

"Tail end Charlie"
Matthew 7:6
<b>Cobra and Smack II Kits at</b> http://www.texascombat.com
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

By the way, if these do not include the Gremlin or Predator they WILL be adjusted accordingly. Feel free to jump in and help me on this at anytime.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

There should be no differance for the flying wing or non-flying wing. The specs you laid out give the flying wing (711 Square inches) a huge increase in wing area over non-flying wings(453 square inches). The idea is to have everyone near the same wing loading so performance is equal. You want to keep the wing loading a little high to limit really tight turning planes.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

These are minimums, not maximums. Adding wing area with width makes wings stronger and adds much drag.I know, I've done it with my wide wing Raptors.I'm not going to eliminate the flying wings and you can't build one with a 7 5/8 center.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Jimbo, you may run into a problem trying to define what is and is not a flying wing. Is a Cobra a flying wing? Since it has a hor stab and vert stabs, and elevator, some may say not, while others say it is. Other desingns are similar.

I understand where your coming from, but trying to define what is and what is not a flying wing could open up another can of worms.

It MAY be better to set the parameters to include all designs. Another idea would be to regulate the span to a stated length as 2548 does. The wing would need to meet the minimum thichness and chord sizes and be 64", 68", or 72" or whatever is decided upon. This makes all of the planes the same size but still gives guys the leeway to create their own designs.

This is just a suggestion as I can see arguments arising as to what is and what is not a flying wing. The rules need to be easilly understood and enforcable.

CAJUN [8D]
Lone Star Combat State
AMA-CD 174052
RCCA 380
NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS
MY MIND WORKS LIKE LIGHTNING,,ONE BRILLIANT FLASH AND IT'S GONE!!
MLaBoyteaux

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

My current wings which I use in both Open B and SSC are 64" with a 12" root and a 6" tip (50% taper) and a 1" setback on the leading edge. The airfoil I use is a Clark YH and is 1 1/2" thick at the root. With a 50% taper, the tips are 3/4".

My fuselage is 29" long X 2" wide and about 4" tall at the highest point. My Open B ships weigh 3 lbs and the SSC versions weigh 2 lb 12 ounces. The fuselages for Open B and SSC are identical except for the location of the wing saddle, which is located further forward for the Open B models.

Mark LaBoyteaux
Ft. Worth, Texas
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Wow Mark, that sure is a thin wing. Most of my Raptors weigh under 3 lbs. When I fly Limited -B I wont be able to use them. Did I miss read some of your post on the openB forum? Didn't sound like you where willing to give Limited-B a try.Are you?
Cajun, for now lets call a flying wing a plane that has the elevator attatched to the wing. The flying wings I know of are the Cobra,Falcon,Gremlin,Predator. I can't say this enough, I want to include as many current OpenB planes as I can.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I have a question. Does anyone besides me and the Dodsons fly combat planes that don't have a removable wing? (besides the flying wings)[?]

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Bert Dodson

Post by Bert Dodson »

Jimbo, The wing specs you laid out will eliminate a bunch of planes like the Cobra and some of our new B planes. The chord diminsions are the problem as these planes are only about 10" at the root and 5" at the tip. Did I misunderstand something? Our group will try out the new class this Sunday and should have enough RCCA members to make it official. My gut feeling is that some of Randys Raptors are going to run away with it....Time will tell. While I am here I will say that if this class takes off I will be one of the ones who build planes just for this class and try to pick up every advantage I can, that is the way I fly all my contest combat planes. For just fun club combatI fly flat bats with short wings and could care less about performance.Just wanted to go ahead and let you all know my junk will be one of the ones pushing the limit. Sorry but that is the way I compete in everything I enter into.

Bert Dodson
MLaBoyteaux

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

I'd prefer to leave open b alone, but I'm willing to at least try out the limited b concept. It's the only way to make educated decisions. You had also asked somewhere about what type of wings everyone is using, so I figured I'd share my dimensions here. Maybe I could hop down to GCRC one of these weekends and practice with that pesky Houston bunch.

Mark LaBoyteaux
Ft. Worth, Texas
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bert just keep it up to 3lbs. for now, and run the right prop and RPM's. Does anyone here know what a proposed provisional class is? This is the part where we tweek the rules when something needs to be changed. Bert if you are like me, we can do what ever we want and we still will never win a contest so lets push it to the limit and see what gives. *****Proposed Provisional*****[:D]

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bert, who builds your openB planes? Tell Randy to make those Raptors 3lbs.I know I'll have to add lead to some of mine.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”