Pylon Combat

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

Devil Dog

Pylon Combat

Post by Devil Dog »

I want to propose a new way of flying combat, which would eliminate airplane arguments and destruction. The direction I’m thinking is something like this:

<ul><li> Combat would be flown around 2 poles </li><li>Pilots would be allowed 2 loop while going around each pole </li><li> No direction reversals between the poles </li><li>Scoring could be something like laps x cuts x remaining streamer </li></ul>

Any thoughts? I got this idea from C/F AKA Mike Fuller on his Tapers in Span/Width/Thickness thread. Who knows, maybe we will get some pylon guys back with this idea.

Airplane arguments would be eliminated because no airplane would have a distance advantage. Destruction would be greatly reduced because speed differences are minimized around the majority of the course.
zeek

Post by zeek »

I looked at this after reading about it on another forum. Apparently the Georgia Combat boys did a bit of pylon combat with SSC models.

I thought of using the shortened 1/2a pylon course and allowing combat only on the upwind leg. You get points for streamer cuts as well as time trial, so if you want to fly the course against the clock you get scored as per a normal race but can pick up bonus points for nabbing a cut. The whole thing would go for a maximum of 6 minutes, with mandatory completion of 3 laps to qualify for points so it just doesn't degenerate in to another combat round.

I like the idea of using SSC models because they are slower and can fly lower to the ground. Using a shortened course will keep the times quicker.

Hows that for starters??

zeek
www.rccombatwa.com

Email SPADWORX@iprimus.com.au Your Australian combat connection!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Can you go 13 up with OpenB planes like we did at the Paris meet? It seems like it would be hard for judges and time keepers to keep up.[:0]

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Serg

Post by Serg »

Why it should be better than regular combat?
zeek

Post by zeek »

Its not better than regular combat - just different. look at it as another way of enjoying yourself with a combat model.

It would have to be four up at a time so the judges could keep track.You could have an air start or launch straight in to the course.
I guess you could put more aircraft up but then you get safety and man power issues.
SSC models would be slower but you could put Open B's up and extend to the full size course.

Look, this is just a fun thing. I don't envisage a full on pedantic to-the-last-detail sort of event.

zeek
www.rccombatwa.com

montague

Post by montague »

The biggest problem I see with pylon combat is that it really encourages everyone to have as fast a plane as possible.

What do you do if you are just a bit behind a slightly faster plane? You have no hope at all of ever cutting them. You can't cut them off in the turn as you do in current combat contests, because that would be a pylon cut. You're slower, so you can't catch up to them from behind. At best you could loiter around and hope they come up from behind you and hope to get them as they lap you, but you'd get 1 shot at it, then they'd be gone again. Sounds really frustrating for everyone who isn't the fastest few planes on the field.

As a thing to do to goof around with simular performing planes, it sounds like a real hoot. As a competitive event, I think it has problems.

Kirk Montague Adams
RCCA 560
http://www.MidAtlanticCombat.com - Combat in the Mid-Atlantic Region
Devil Dog

Post by Devil Dog »

I was thinking more of a combat focus, so the rule would need to bias cuts over laps. One thing good would be when all the streamers are cut, pilots would actually have something to do.[:)]
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I know another way to lower midairs for club combat. If you get your streamer cut you land until the next round. Just like REAL combat. Make the string 30' and the streamer 10'. When all that's left is the knot your dead.Use the 2" wide party streamer so it's easier to see.You'll learn defense in a hurry.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
zeek

Post by zeek »

We fly SSC down here as our main event, so we all have roughly similar performance in our aircraft. The engine, prop and weight limits keep straight line speed fairly even.

The way I thought of doing it with the scoring was 100 points for a cut, 20 points for a lap, with qualifying after 3 laps. That way everyone has to go around the poles before the can chase streamers. After you have done your qualifying laps, you can loiter and ambush the other contestants who keep lapping, or you can keep racing and rack up points. In six minutes you will probably get a max of 10 to 12 laps with an SSC model.

By only allowing combat on the upwind leg, you avoid safety issues. If you happen to ambush in the turns, you get the streamer cut points but you will be penalised for furballing on any other leg bar the upwind.

For me, combat pylon is not about reducing destruction, its about another way to have fun.

In my opinion, if you take up combat as an RC discipline you have to accept that you are going to burn through planes and equipment. It goes with the territory. We noticed a reduction in damage rates once we shifted to SSC but we still go through a lot of equipment. The sheer excitement of combat is what gets us back up there time and again. If new guys are put off after viewing combat, then its probably not for them.

We have found that our demographic for participation is men in their 30's to 50's. These men have building AS WELL as flying skills. A lot of new converts have come through the ARF stream and don't possess a lot of building skills. The lack of ARF combat models and the need to be reapiring all the time can act as a deterrent.

Bottom line: If you don't like damage, don't like building and midairs frighten you, try old timers,park flyers or stick to your ARF sport models instead.

zeek
www.rccombatwa.com

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”