What would the ideal electric class look like?

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

1. Spec motor/prop/battery Pick something cheap and available with sufficient power. Something above average when it comes to strength. If rpm limits/watt limits etc are necessary, we'll know before too long and they can be added before it becomes provisional.
2. Min/Max wing span or area
3. Optional set of scale rules. This way an all scale, or an open event could be held. All scale ships have equivalent powerplants and could compete at open events, but not the other way around. There are a lot of people who want scale, but there are also a ton of people flying full contact already that would just as likely jump into a RCCA class if kept simple.

No point int conceiving E-SSC, Limite-E, brushed36, open-E, etc from the get go. Also no point in ignoring the dozens of videos out there of people flying full contact combat. There are a lot of them with 10+ ships... I bet some of those guys would be willing to travel to events.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilermaker</i>
<br />1. Spec motor/prop/battery Pick something cheap and available with sufficient power. Something above average when it comes to strength. If rpm limits/watt limits etc are necessary, we'll know before too long and they can be added before it becomes provisional.
2. Min/Max wing span or area
Also no point in ignoring the dozens of videos out there of people flying full contact combat. There are a lot of them with 10+ ships... I bet some of those guys would be willing to travel to events.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OK how bout this:
1) 7.2V Speed 600, GD600 gearbox (2.5:1 standard ratio), 10x8 prop, 10 NMiH,NiCad, or 3 cell LiPoly.
2)48" max wing span unless biplane, then 36" max wing span.
3) Minimum 3 lb weight.

Of course, full contact is out, according to AMA rules, but tie a streamer on to it and let her go!

Not a bad idea.

Scott
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

That doesn't sound bad Scott. I just about have my foam cutting table done to start cutting a hellcat fuse. I have an endoplasma instead of a sp600 though. I like the idea of replacable brushes. I was also going to go with eight cells because thats what I have in the way of nimh cells. It still sounds good though.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

How much run time have you put on the endoplasm? What is the brush wear like? Might be a better choice, same price, that cell count kinda pushes lipos out, but what the hey, cheap is the word!

Scott
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

I would still use the 2.5:1 gd gearbox with the endo.The endo is $25 thru tower. I think that is way more than the typical 600. I only have a few runs on the endo and nothing in the air. My higher amp esc is hosed, so I am waiting on another one. I have not replaced brushes yet, but hear 30-50 flights as long as it isn't abused. The brushes are cheap and look like a snap to replace. I think the endo and other mad science motors have good brush life anyway because they are 5mm square instead of the normal smaller ones. I think power output is similar to the normal 600's, just that the brushes are replacable, and it is easy to time the motor.
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

We'll have to see how the endo does for ourselves, but it may be a good choice fro a spec motor. Might even be better to spec than a speed 600, as there are are several different 'speed 600' motors out there. The hazard with the endo is availability. The can be difficult to find at times.

I would have no problem specifying the Cheap Battery Packs 2500A cells in a 10 cell pack. Only about $37/pack prebuilt. A viable alternative would be the CBP 1800, 2100 or Sanyo 1950FAUP. The Sanyos are bloody expensive, but performance is supposed be the best, and is the standard that CBP holds the 2500A to. Still, I would say that is is OK to use any of those three, and maybe any A size NiCd or NiMh cell. A 10 cell limit seems reasonable, and if you have a charger that can handle 8 cells, it can usually handle 10 as well.

We might consider a spec gearbox and/or ratio, and prop as well. 10x8, 11x7, 12x6 are reasonable options. We will have to experiment to see which might give us the performance we would like.

So far, a cheap power system suitable for a well built (not heavily built) 2548 airframe. Maybe need to consider and E48 open and E48 scale class. Yes, scale is popular, but some prefer to just have a plane and are not interested in the work involved in making a scale plane look good and fly well.

J.P.
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

I was going to use the gp3300 nimh cells on the endo. That is the only way to get 5+ mins at a 30 amp draw. They are heavy though, 2 oz per cell, 1 lb for an 8 cell pack. I could do lipos for 1/2 the weight, but in order to be able to fly back to back rounds and recharge, it would be expensive.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wparmenter</i>
<br />I was going to use the gp3300 nimh cells on the endo. That is the only way to get 5+ mins at a 30 amp draw. They are heavy though, 2 oz per cell, 1 lb for an 8 cell pack. I could do lipos for 1/2 the weight, but in order to be able to fly back to back rounds and recharge, it would be expensive.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Played around with Motocalc and the Endoplasm motor 10cells and various gear box values and props. We were able to get 5 easy minutes + out of the 2500 packs, with in flight of 25 amps or less (static was still at 30). The 2500s are 1.4 oz per cell vs the GP3300 2.2 oz per cell. I have a bunch of the GP3300s from my BF-110 and I am ordering an Endoplasm today, so I will mix it up and try the different batteries.
One nice feature of the GD600 gear box is that it is 48 pitch gears, are standard car stuff. You can put an 11 or 12 tooth pinion on the motor and drop the gear ratio down to 3.75 or 4.0 to one or put a 22-25 tooth pinion on and raise it up to 1.8 to 1 and use a 10x3 prop. A bunch of flexability there, going to try it all out as soon as the motor shows up and the weather breaks!

Scott
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

the foam cutting table is finished, and I will be starting to cut out a 2548 hellcat. One plane will take almost 1/2 sheet of 2" foam. This thing will be a monster. One good thing since this thing is so huge, it should be very easy to fit all the gear inside.

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”