Beginners Only Plane Specs

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Beginners Only Plane Specs

Post by Dane McGee »

What would be a good set of airplane specs for beginners only?

I'm looking to build some planes for beginners only and need some input from anyone who is willing to share information.

Please post your ideas and I'll take the specs and build a couple of birds and give it a try at the local non-RCCA level and document the results.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Posted By Lee Liddle on another thread:

QUOTE: "That would be cool Dane. Let me get the input from a couple of guys and we`ll come up with some specs.

My thinking would be dimentions that would be roughly based on the basic HOR as far as wing span and area go, but allow the use of foam for more durable planes. That way HORs would be at no disadvantage performance wise, but coro wings would be eventualy replaced by foam by most pilots."
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Posted by Which Way is Up on another thread:

QUOTE: "My Bandito from three years ago flew like the HORs do, that would make a good spec plane. Maybe Stan could start building those again? Good fuselage and a simple plank foam wing?"
Web-Pilot

Post by Web-Pilot »

Why don't you all contact Jimbo and Travis down in the Swamp. They have been there and done that and I think it is working. They have a spec plane, I believe 48" wing, black bat, and stock .25 I think. Nearly indestructible and from what I have heard, very flyable and fun.

George
thojo

Post by thojo »

The black flat bats with a simple clark y 48 hershy bar wing with either a v-tail or standard stab is pretty hard to beat. With a HDPE firewall (now cut by HatTrick, $4) they are pretty indestructable. Also, since all the equipment can be mounted inside, they are less likely to lose the important stuff... Plans should be simple and available no cost, and parts should be easily sourced, with nothing too exotic.
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

Dane
We already have a spec plane in the Fort Worth area, that has a lot of non-RCCA pilots flying. I showed a friend how to build the HOR and he has sold more than 500 in this area. We had a fun fly this weekend, HOR only and had 11 guys ready to tie one on, and if the weather would had been better we would have had more.
THend

Post by THend »

I am watching this closely. Here in SoCal, I know more X combat pilots that current combat pilots. A spec class will get them back into the air, I am sure. I take responsibility for lowering the level of participation as I pushed the envelope locally, and folks gave up. Recent conversation with the locals reveals that they are still interested in combat, c'mon who wouldn't be!, but the don't have the resources for a tech race. An affordable spec plane, on a national level, will really give combat the pump we need.
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

Terry,

Try 2548. The biggest problem is people don't know how to build them, but everyone likes flying airplanes that actually look like an airplanes. Teach them to build and you will all have fun!
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Limited B is basically a spec class. With max wing area and RPM limits in place there can be no arms race.

Havoc will have the first official event very soon and we will also be running an event at my home field.

I think it will work great.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bob Leone</i>
<br />Dane
We already have a spec plane in the Fort Worth area, that has a lot of non-RCCA pilots flying. I showed a friend how to build the HOR and he has sold more than 500 in this area. We had a fun fly this weekend, HOR only and had 11 guys ready to tie one on, and if the weather would had been better we would have had more.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gee Bob, thanks for posting the information afterwards!![B)] Why didn't you tell us there was combat last weekend?[:D]

Ed
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lee mentioned this in a previous post and I agree..........What I envision is a flying a round or two of "beginners only" between heats at RCCA nps events using basicly the same plane for everyone (HOR, Limited B planes, Bandito, whatever) where the new guys can join in but not have to compete against veteran combat flyers, unless they want to of course. The experienced guys can help out and the noobs have a good experience.
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

The contest last weekend was moved to this sunday at 11:00.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Max</i>
<br />Thanks for the comments guys.

Lee mentioned this in a previous post and I agree..........What I envision is a flying a round or two of "beginners only" between heats at RCCA nps events using basicly the same plane for everyone (HOR, Limited B planes, Bandito, whatever) where the new guys can join in but not have to compete against veteran combat flyers, unless they want to of course. The experienced guys can help out and the noobs have a good experience.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The CD could also do some engineering on the matrix to put all the sharks in one heat and the minnows in another, allowing the sharks to coach the minnows and help develop their combat skills. I remember getting a lot of help from the veterans like John McIntosh when I got started three years ago, and it was a big boost to have somebody there next to me giving me tips.
headshot

Post by headshot »

Beginner Class type plane:

*500-600 sq. inch wing max 60" span spec airfoil type (for my example rg14 or similar "cargo type flat bottom)
*.25 LA or .25 fp type motor ABC non-bearing (cheap, more power than .15la) Stock Muffler, baffle removed, can drill out stinger, though stinger must remain
*simple/durable fuselage design. (Chris Quinn rail or similar)
*Max RPM (have to do some research here to find reasonable range)
*Spec Prop MA or APC 9X5 (Best pull for basic engine at lower RPMS) (Even a 10X3 might be feasible)
*3 lbs. min. weight
*15' minimum streamer tow string
*full streamer removal equals a kill pilot without steamer must land unless towing wing streamer.
All other RCCA rules apply (as required locally, may be used more as guidlines)

These planes should be lower in the performance than limited "B", but above that of SSC. Good starter class.
Easy translation into Existing or future RCCA classes.

Jay L.
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

The RCCA's already got 9 spec. classes. Six rulebook and 3 provisional. The trick is to keep it on a beginners level. The list of rules will have to be several pages long to close off every possible advantage.

Out of curiousity, is there any reason that more power than a stock .15la is needed?

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”