Limited B: Not so limited

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Post by boiler »

To my knowledge the havoc limited B was the first of the year and under horendous conditions. Rain/SNOW and 30+ mph winds. If they could fly in that stuff, that is a real advantage over the 15. The eauation for energy value goes up with the mass of the plane. The equation for energy value goes up with the SQUARE of the speed of the plane. In other words if you double the mass, you double the energy. If you double the speed the energy goes up by a factor of 4. I fly what ever is being flown myself. My preference would be for more limited B but I go to meets and fly whatever is being flown. It's early in the season yet so I won't fly 2610 untill the Detroit meet. I've flown open B, ssc, 2548 so far. I would have flown the limited B at havoc but considering the weather, I bailed because I wanted to stay healthy.
Bo_Connolly

Post by Bo_Connolly »

Hello Bob:

Thanks Alot !!!

Hey, I really enjoyed that breakfast Shane and I had with ya in Paris.

Hopefully, we'll see you in Dixie.

Hope everything is going well for ya!

Take Care,
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

Sure kinetic energy goes up as a function of 1/2mv^2. But if you want to disprove that force in a collision is a function of the change in momentum over time, then you've got your work cut out for you. You will be the first to disprove newton's 2nd law.

You may notice that I don't have much to say about open or scale events. I don't fly either of them and really have no plans to. But those events serve a purpose that no other class does. The market for RC Combat isn't large enough to sustain umpteen classes.

I'm not sure how Havoc showed an advantage of limited-b over .15's considering the .15s flew in similar conditions the day before.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I had no plans to disprove that Impulse equates to change in momentum. To reduce the force of a collision, you must extend the time of contact. EPP foam or other substances that give a longer time of impact will reduce the force involved in the collision. I was looking strictly at energy assuming similar airframe construction.
headshot

Post by headshot »

Bob,

So essentially what you are saying is that we now need to design airplanes with crumple zones?!!!!!

Back to the CAD system (LOL)

Jay Lawless
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

What you could do is take your openB plane and put a 10X3 APC or 10x4 MAS prop on it and try it like we did for about 8 months. If you don't like it, don't fly it. I did it and I loved it. We had less midairs and less damage from the midairs.
slam

Post by slam »

jimbo, don't forget to put the stock muffler back on. with just changing the prop, you don't get the speed reduction you get with the stock muffler.

slam
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Yea, what he said.
Danny Wilson

Post by Danny Wilson »

Hey guys heres my 2cents worth after flying limited B at
Havoc.We were flying in unreal weather conditions.I believe the 10-4 prop pulled better.The speed seemed a little slower than Open B, but not enough to keep major damage to a mimium.I lost a battery pack, two stripped sevos,a needle valve also cracked the backplate on my .25fx.I don't know what would happen if you were flying in good weather.I hope we don't have alot of flyers looking for something in Limited B that we already have in SSC.I will contiune to fly Open B at the Nats, but if you want a slower pace,less damage, SSC is really where it's at.This was my 2 cents worth.

Danny Wilson
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Good thing you know so much after flying it one time. THAT'S GREAT !
Danny Wilson

Post by Danny Wilson »

Jimbo,

I take good notes,and I'm a fast learner.This was my 2cents worth.

Danny Wilson
mark s

Post by mark s »

Jimbo,

That was a cheap shot!

How many official Limited B rounds have you flown?

Someone gives some feedback on Limited B and you just hammer them.

I guess I’m not surprised by your response!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Good thing you know so much after flying it one time. THAT'S GREAT !<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mark S
Mark "Roid" Schofield
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Someone gives some feedback on Limited B and you just hammer them. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't consider giving up on a new class after four rounds in bad conditions and recommending nobody try it as feedback. To me it seems like more SSC propaganda rather than useful information on Limited B.

I'm not sure where the idea that Limited B was supposed to be a replacement for SCC came from? Again, if you like SSC then that's what you should fly. I, and many others, would like to see a class where we can utilize much of our equipment in Open B and a slower class as well. Maybe if you, like me, were trying to keep 14 planes operational in order to fly local meets you'd be more interested too.

However, even if you never become interested in this class I still believe it will become quite popular. It is a difficult road because it now has to work its way in between two classes- where SSC only had Open B to compete with. It will take much longer to get Limited B rolling than it took SSC- but this rock is at the top of the hill and even with a few folks standing on the low side pushing eventually it'll start to pick up speed and they'll have to get out of the way. [;)]
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I don't think thats a cheap shot or hammering. If "OFFICIAL" means by the rules, LOTS of em. If it means something else, well, it doesn't matter. 2548 is where we got the idea.
Danny Wilson

Post by Danny Wilson »

Tim,
I think everyone should at least give Limited B a try. Our local club flys at least once a month and sometimes we get together and fly practice once a week. We normally have 6 to 10 flyers at our contests.For the last 2 years we have been using .25 bushing motors. I know Limitd B would be a litte faster than our bushing motors.So I quess I'm also comparing the damage we have had to the damage we have when we fly SSC.I quess the question I have is whats everyone expecting out of Limited B? That question might start a new thread.

Danny Wilson

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”