GNAT

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

midair02

GNAT

Post by midair02 »

At the last WingNut meet, Bob mentioned the idea of a GNAT class. He wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

The basic rules are:
1. Looks like a GNAT
2. SSC motor and prop
3. NO STICKY STUFF!!!

Here are the rules so far:
GNAT Rules 5-13-2012.pdf
(11.35 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
Plans from: http://www.frostracing.com/spadtothebone/SPAD/Gnat/
gnatplans.jpg
gnatplans.jpg (187.69 KiB) Viewed 17826 times
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
boiler

Re: GNAT

Post by boiler »

We fly the Gnat for fun the evening before the meet. We have more fun than the meet itself. Bill Geipel brought two guys into regular ssc combat after training them on Gnats. They build very quickly for little money and are more durable than most SPADS. They turn tight enough to cut their own streamer. I'm thinking I can get some of my local club members to play with me who normally don't build or repair planes. You don't need building skills and could have a build party to complete a fleet of planes. I just completed a second one to loan to a club member and have the parts cut for a third to do the same. They fly great but have a poor glide path. Good enough to land on the correct side and angle.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

We fly Gnats almost every week and I know Doug Stalke and his friends do also in Minnesota. Andy Runte found out that they fly better with the CG at 3 3/4 inches back from the LE. Some of us also put the RX and battery inside the fold in the wing and secure them with zipties. We use plastic streamers and count drapes as cuts. One of our club members built a Gnat at the field using hand tools in less than an hour. They fly so well (only with power) that we routinely let new pilots fly them. We hold the end of a wing and 'fling' them to launch. Usually the only damage is a broken prop and prop cuts to the Coroplast. Packing tape fixes that. You can really beat these things up and they still fly. I hope this becomes a provisional class because these little planes are so much fun to fly. And it's a great way to introduce combat to other pilots. You can build a few of them,throw them in your car,and fly them without any set-up.
Bill Geipel
RCCA# 619
midair02

Post by midair02 »

After some discussion at the NATS, I clarified section 4 and added that notches are allowed. I also removed the no tapered wings from section 2-D. It would have excluded some of my club members planes and I don't see any real advantage with a tapered wing.

PDF Version:
GNAT Rules 7-22-2012.pdf
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

RCCA GNAT Rules 7-22-2012

1. Contest: With the exception of the following restrictions, all RCCA A-class rules and scoring will be used. GNAT combat rounds will be 5 minutes in duration.

2. Aircraft: All aircraft will be of the popular GNAT design. The following aspects must be met:
A. Wing constructed out of coroplast.
B. Leading edge of wing must be folded over.
C. Maximum wingspan of 34 inches.
D. Maximum chord of 13 inches.
E. Fuselage length of 24 inches.
F. Equipped with horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
G. Equipped with aileron, elevator and throttle control.

3. Power Plants and Propellers: Only engines legal for SSC will be allowed. Electrics will be allowed. All aircraft will use a non-modified Master Airscrew 8x3 prop. To ensure electrics are on a level playing field with glow engines, the Contest Director will randomly tach 3 aircraft prior to the start of each day of the contest. The highest RPM attained will be the maximum RPM for Electrics for that day. Electric motors shall be tached and the ATV adjusted so that the maximum RPMs are not exceeded prior to each flight.

4. Sticky fluids/sprays, double sided tape and sandpaper/tread tape are NOT allowed. Notches in wingtips and tail feathers are allowed.
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

Sounds good. Any thoughts about weight ?
Bill Geipel
RCCA# 619
midair02

Post by midair02 »

No rpm and weight restrictions to keep it simple. You can only get the plane so light. Your options are limited. Basically, standard servos vs micro servos. It's not going to fly that much better either way.
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

Keeping things simple is good. Thanks for putting this together.
Bill Geipel
RCCA# 619
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

OH NO! There are some GNATS in the Mid Atlantic.

and this one looks like a Blue Meany
Attachments
GNAT.jpg
GNAT.jpg (155.01 KiB) Viewed 17699 times
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
boiler

Post by boiler »

Looks good Don. Remind me to bring mine on my next trip East. We got a few more pilots at the NATS. Tom and Brian Neff are going to build some and get some club members to fly with them.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
mad

Post by mad »

I have some new blood in my home club interested in doing some combat. I am going to start with Gnats and a build party next month. Bob E-mail me your number I have a couple questions.
Michael DeWoody
RCCA# 548
midair02

Post by midair02 »

Rules Update 9-7-12:
GNAT Rules 9-7-2012.pdf
(13.21 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
Allows for flat wings and glued up wings instead of folded over leading edges.

RCCA GNAT Rules 9-7-2012

1. Contest: With the exception of the following restrictions, all RCCA A-class rules and scoring will be used. GNAT combat rounds will be 5 minutes in duration.

2. Aircraft: All aircraft will be of the popular GNAT design. The following aspects must be met:
A. Wing constructed out of coroplast.
B. The leading edge of the wing must be folded over or have the flutes running with the wingspan or have the exposed flutes of tapered wings covered with tape.
C. Maximum wingspan of 34 inches.
D. Maximum chord of 13 inches.
E. Fuselage length of 24 inches.
F. Equipped with horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
G. Equipped with aileron, elevator and throttle control.

3. Power Plants and Propellers: Only engines legal for SSC will be allowed. Electrics will be allowed. All aircraft will use a non-modified Master Airscrew 8x3 prop. To ensure electrics are on a level playing field with glow engines, the Contest Director will randomly tach 3 aircraft prior to the start of each day of the contest. The highest RPM attained will be the maximum RPM for Electrics for that day. Electric motors shall be tached and the ATV adjusted so that the maximum RPMs are not exceeded prior to each flight.

4. Sticky fluids/sprays, double sided tape and sandpaper/tread tape are NOT allowed. Notches in wingtips and tail feathers are allowed.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Hi everybody. I've been out of combat and the RCCA for a couple of years now. If I said I didn't miss combat, I'd be lying, I just like what i'm flying now a little better...but I think I could do this, easy build, no pressure, minimal rules.
Just need a couple of guys local here to fly against.
Cash
"It's a gut-wrenching, mother-loving war.."
Cash Lee Hargett
RCCA#425
boiler

Post by boiler »

Good to hear from you Cash. ( :wink: Crash)
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
boiler

Post by boiler »

Gnat combat rules prohibit sticky stuff on the wing to keep the combat experience pleasant for new pilots. No one wants tanglefoot crap all over them. The sandpaper idea seemed to get rid of tangle foot and the need to pick grass out after every landing. Two sided tape needed to be reapplied after it filled with grass or got wet. It was a wise decision to rule out sandpaper for safety reasons. No one can have fun if someone gets hurt. Some one on the forum commented last week about electric foamies not needing it since the foam grabbed streamers pretty well. A few years ago I got the idea of using water noodles to cut a leading edge instead of EPP foam since it would be cheaper and easier to find. It didn't hot wire very well and I wound up with several noodles gathering dust. I got the idea that if electric foamies could grab streamers, the water noodles could be ripped into thin strips and applied to the leading edge of a wing to act like tape that wouldn't load up with grass on landing. The following pictures show what I did. I drug the leading edge across my cheek and didn't feel uncomfortable. I will be able to test it at Williams meet in Green Bay. I will ask him to fly straight and level so I can try to snag his streamer in some fun fly on Saturday.

Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Bob,
Looks like a good idea, I'll be interested to see how it works! What did you use as an adhesive to put the foam on...was it tangefoot perhaps :lol: Just kidding, I'm assuming you used some goop or something like that.
Andy Runte (aka "Dr. Kamakaze")
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”