Building materials

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

well I finaly found some blucor. it in a town about an hour away. the company uses it to wrap houses before the chicken wire for stucco. I just gota make the journey down there. thanks guys for the help. Im sure I will have more questions later
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Check the dimensions with them before you drive. It may be the 1/8" fanfold material, which is good for foamies but not thick enough for combat planes
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

I did, it is 1" thick. they dont have the fan fold, I cant find fan fold at all, for my foamies.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I built a cupple of open b planes this year with white foam and blue foam (LE has about 3 inches of high load 60 and the rest is white foam) , and 2 weeks ago we had a cupple of 1 on 1 practice rounds, and we had a midair (head on), I thought I was goin to see snow but all I saw was Tony's Avenger coming down, my plane kept on truck'n with just a small scratch on the LE
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow thats a neat plane. how does it do? it looks realy easy to build. I am here in mako land. I normaly fly spads for open b but I have a mako being born. it has the same foam for the wings. the other guys that have foam wings dont really have any snow on impact.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

does Awsome! its a copy of Doc Evil's Russian Wings, It will do circles on anything out there
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

I might have to try one. whats the specs? will it be a mako buster??? hmmmm
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

What kind of airfoil is on that thing???
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Mako Buster? Don't know, guess it all depends on the pilot, but it does turn a lot tighter than the Mako, and doesnt loose speed on the turns, inside/outside loops are identical, it also builts fast, I dont know the name of the airfoil but it looks like its purty popular in Russia.
Mike F. should start kitting these, im purty shure it will be the next BIG thing for open b.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

man I gota do one for the next livermore meet at the end of sept. whats the wingspan and cord? also the thickness of the wing? I will just do a standard symetrical airfoil and see how it does, any clues on what its close to?
THend

Post by THend »

Wasn't there a plane called the Raptor a long time ago, kitted by a guy named Richard in Texas?

Another crazy fast turning plane. The flying wings, elevon control will always turn very tight.

There was a time when it wasn't needed so much.

Those days are gone.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

hey TH, I was wondering when you would see this? your guys mako is always on the hit list, isnt it! that plane is perfect to begin with, very hard to beat. although one of our first time combat guys did tie first place with a veteren guy with a mako. our guy had just a bone stock corostang.
THend

Post by THend »

My motto has always been "On any given day..."

I've built and flown so many Makos, and like any other flying wing you better have the CG right on..or you won't be reaping the benefits.

Oh, and another thing... If you are ripping across the field about 5 feet high, and you pull up for a sweet vertical climb out and end up burying the plane in the dirt.... you were inverted.. I did this with a Falcon that was totally spot on and flying great.

Now, for the sake of the 2548 crew we should move this conversation over to the Open forum.

The Mako is not on the 2548 approved aircraft list [:p]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Yeap 10-4 on that TH. I finaly found some blue foam, not too far away. I made dozens of calls to stuco lather contractors to find where they are buying it. the home centers dont seem to carry blue anymore. I just have to figure out what plane to build. the hellcat looks like it isnt over done.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The Navy planes are good subjects, with good wing areas and generally broader tips than land based planes. Looking forward to seeing your handiwork!

Ed