2548 Aircraft Sizes

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

2548 Aircraft Sizes

Post by Ed Kettler »

Now that we have some broader limits on what can be proposed to be flown in 2548, I thought I'd share some research on how various planes compared to each other. The highlighted planes are attack/dive bombers and other types that could be proposed. The lists are sorted in wing loading order from least to most (the 3.25 column for singles and 4 for twins). The singles are normalized to a 48" span, and the twins to 60".

<b><font size="4">Single Engine Planes</font id="size4"></b>

<b><font size="4">Twin Engine Planes</font id="size4"></b>

Enjoy!
Ed
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Nice work, Ed. It appears to me, at least wingloading wise, that the high aspect ratio oddballs have no advantage over traditional fighters. Some it would even appear might be at a disadvantage. I hate to see one of my favorties, the Ki.61, might not be an ideal candidate for 2548. In fact, it seems that most of the "front line fighters" have a higher wingloading.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

You need to fly the plane to its strong points ... a lighter wing loading airplane is probably a good candidate for "turn and burn" tactics, while a heavier wing loading might be better suited for "boom and zoom".

But pay careful attention to where the Zero is on the scale ... Doc's plane is right in the middle of the pack and flies great, so don't get too caught up in wing loading ... fly what you love!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks for collecting the data in a form we can use Ed. Maybe we will have a few more pilots build prototypes of their favorites. That might??? lead to a few more kits for new scale pilots.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

As far as wing loading goes... I flew Ed`s new A20G Havoc. At 4lbs the plane would have a wing loading of 22.0, but being electric it weighed 5 lbs!! So instead of 22.o that would put it at about 27.5!!! Higher than anything on the list.

The hook is that it appeared that it would out turn any 2548 that I have ever flown or seen fly.[:0] Also it wasn`t slow[8D]
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

What do I have to do to keep an F-82 on the list of twins?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Chris, I don't understand the question ... the P-82 is already on the approved list.

The above list is just some work I did to see how the different planes scaled out, and is not a definitive or authoritative 2548 list. However, I went back and edited the spreadsheet and added the P-82 to the list so you can see where it fits.
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Thanks had me wondering there.