HobbyParts 25 engine

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

dditch

Re: HobbyParts 25 engine

Post by dditch »

You think omega fuel instead of coolpower will be better?
I have both Omega and Cool power 15% and I have extra castor I can add if I need to mix up a special batch.
I only have a total of 4 flights since break-in. I may try both fuels and compare this weekend.

David
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I tried to order one of these from Hobby Partz and use the PayPal option, all went normally until i pressed the button on PayPal to submit the payment, then it jumped out of PayPal and back to my Hobby Parts shopping cart without the order being placed (checked my Paypal status), and now the shopping cart does not have the PayPal option. I tried this twice and got the same result. Anybody else run into this glitch? Thanks.
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
dditch

Post by dditch »

I recall it does bounce back to hobby partz, I think you then have to confirm the order on the hobbypartz site before it's finished. Check to make sure that nothing was charged to paypal, by logging into paypal and checking your balance. If it did not charge, try again. Double check the qty is what you want.
-David
dditch

Post by dditch »

My APC 10x3 came in today so I hope to try that out Thursday at the field and check out the RPMS. Gonna also compare coolpower 15% to Omega 15% with the Hobbypartz ASP .25 AII
lightning

Post by lightning »

dditch wrote:My APC 10x3 came in today so I hope to try that out Thursday at the field and check out the RPMS. Gonna also compare coolpower 15% to Omega 15% with the Hobbypartz ASP .25 AII
With an abnormally warm mid-November I broke my plane out from storage and went flying yesterday - 60 degrees is pretty good in Michigan at this time of year!
My 25XLS was still hitting 17950 rpms on the ground with 15% Powermaster fuel and an 8x5 MA prop. It's had more than a dozen tanks through it so I consider it broken in.
Out of curiosity I tried a MA 10x4 prop to see how it would do for Lim-B and 2548. I fully expected it to break over 14,500 rpms but it could get no more than 13,800 with the same 15% fuel.
Which is interesting! I have 25FXs that will run over 14,500 on 15% fuel (I use 5% to get under the limit) but no 25FX I own will run 18K with an 8x5 prop! Looks like this 25XLS likes to run with a small prop better than lugging a big one.
As for shutting down, I turned the low speed needle in 1/4 turn. It still idles OK and will stop after approx 10 seconds after I close the throttle. This is an improvement - previously it just kept running! I can live with it this way.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

Who knows? My .25XLS is turning 14,700 and up on 10% nitro. on 10 X 4
But on my first 3 runs with a 8 X 3 prop I wound it out. You take a chance on
blowing the engine but I lucked out. I wound it out early.

Just Sayin'
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

David was this engine giving you trouble at the combat meet ?
I am sorry I did not get to go over the engine with you, I wanted
to see what we could get the RPMs up to. Every thing was RUSH, RUSH,
RUSH and try and get finnished befor sundown. Well next time we will.
You just keep getting better at it...
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I ordered one of these HobbyPartz engines and the one I got also looks exactly like the Mag 25XLS. I posted some observations in the "Engine Clinic - Tweaks" forum. Pretty nice deal! (If i ignore the fact that I missed the $40 sale on the "real deal" 25XLS from hobby people!!! Also, no mention of ANY warranty from HobbyPartz whereas Magnum, I believe, offers a one year warranty and my experience with Magnum is they give very good warranty service.)
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
dditch

Post by dditch »

Yea, it gave me trouble. It kept leaning out in the air. I had to richen it up ALOT for the last round.

I still have yet to look into it. I put some oil in it and put it away. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with air getting in somewhere.
dditch

Post by dditch »

Well, it had turned out that I was just too lean. This needle valve has a long lean point on it. I'd sealed up with more fuel tubing on the needle valve but Kirk opened the needle valve alot more on gameday and the Engine ran GREAT for the 2 rounds it flew in till a mid-air took it out for the day.

Damage on the mid-air was $6 to replace the remote needle valve bracket from HobbyPeople.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

weather finally cleared up enough for me to get some test flights with my HB 25 engine. Running on stock muffler, slightly rich (still breaking in), engine ran great. Tight and leak-free, very consistent needle, engine did start to lean out a bit toward the end of the tank but not excessively (a little hard to judge since I was taking off a little on the rich side), throttle performance very reliable, engine shut off fine each time for landing. No blown plugs. Muffler thru-bolt did loosen, but a re-tighten of the thru bolt followed by cinching the jam nut seemed to solve the problem. Overall, so far so good!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

HobbyPartz has a couple of different versions of 25 and 28 size engines on their site.

Which version are you all running?

25A or 25AII

Has anyone run the .28?

-Chris
Chris Shepherd
RCCA #139
dditch

Post by dditch »

I have the AII which is Out of Stock.
I finally have mine running right now that I've fixed my fuel tube leaks. So long as I don't run it lean (it still flies) it does well. I have to run the APC prop. I'm thinking of trying the .28 next to see if I can get full RPM with a MAS prop.
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

Yes I have a ASP .28 in one of my 2948 Scale warbirds and it keeps up with the best of them.
The .28 is on the P-47 Bulletproof models that I am holding and it gets the ribbons..

I run the ASP .25, ASP .28, Magnum .25XLS and the OS .25FX and they all run well for me.
Attachments
P-47 send.jpg
P-47 send.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 13174 times
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat