TWin 2548

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

dditch

TWin 2548

Post by dditch »

Has anyone been able to make a sucessful or at least compeditive twin 2548?
I see the max RPM is 18500 and curious to see if anyone's been able to get those RPMS out of a their 15s
Blue Note

Re: TWin 2548

Post by Blue Note »

I'm not sure about the "success" rate of twins in 2548/2948, but all of my Magnum 15 XLSs were hitting over 19.2K on WC 10% at the Nats last year when tuned to the sweet spot. It would have been nice if I could have used the extra power, but in this case it was a problem trying to be legal for SSC. These values can also vary GREATLY based on the weather conditions.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Ed Kettler has been having great success with his electric twins! It appears that electric is the way to go in twins rather than glow.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

I am working on one now, when it is finished I will let you know how it flies.The Magnums will do 18,500 but like it was stated weather conditions seem to effect these engines also it has been my experience some engine's turn more RPM than others so picking two engines that go together is helpful.
Don Fourson 386
boiler

Post by boiler »

Chris Handegard has a twin with Magnums that flies great.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have built and flown the following 2548 twins, and consider them all to be competitive, even at 4.5 pounds (4.0 being the minimum)
- P-70 glow
- P-70 Electric
- Me-110 glow (3 iterations, some thanks to Cash :) )
- Me-110 electric
- DeHavilland Hornet electric

The P-70 is a night fighter configuration of the A-20 Havoc, and is a good topic to model as it has a long nose to provide a place to balance the model by shifting weights. Glow balance is less of a problem, as the engines are pretty heavy and the fuselage weighs next to nothing (about 8 ounces). All of the electronics except the elevator servo go inthe wing. On glows, I used a single bladder with a T joint to reduce the risks of a single engine out due to fuel. Glows require a two man crew to operate safely during start up and launch.

They are great to fly, and with the 18500 howl going it is easy to keep track of your bird. The Hornet and the Tigercat have broad wing tips, and should have less risk of tip stall.

What are you thinking about building?

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
dditch

Post by dditch »

I"m not sure what I'd build. At first I was thinking P38, then I saw the P70 on the list.
I've started getting into cutting foam myself (I'm working on a 1/4 scale Foam/coroplast bipe project), so it would be from scratch.
My electric SSC motors work really well and having the same motor I think is a plus.
Our club has several warbird type events and now an electric only event so my 2548 planes will fly at those events as well.
DSDS

Post by DSDS »

David, I am currently working on a P-70 twin for myself. My own design, using 15 nitro engines.
It should be ready for some spring combat? I am hoping to post some photos soon.
If you need some help just let me know.
David S. #973
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

DSDS wrote:David, I am currently working on a P-70 twin for myself. My own design, using 15 nitro engines.
It should be ready for some spring combat? I am hoping to post some photos soon.
If you need some help just let me know.
David S. #973

David , Will there be a P-70 at Free State this Saturday ? It is Spring......
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

I put photos of my latest twin, this J1N1 Gekko, in a thread in 2548 last year when it was first built. Since then it has flown very succsesfully in 3 contests. The last was a ten round event and it brought home the bacon for me flying all of the 10 rounds.

At the contest prior, it's 2nd outing, Big Dog flew right through the fuse behind the wing, see event debrief pics from Bushwhacked Fall Furball 2010. I repaired the aft fuse, put er back together and she lived on to win the Tangerine in Feb. 2011. This weekend will be her 4th contest and I intend to start with it and stay with it unless it gets taken out.

Here's link to the pics when new. It doesn't look quite that nice anymore tho...

http://rccombat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13554
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

VERY NICE, GRASSHOPPER
Frank S
RCCA # 843
Parker, CO.
http://www.airscharnell.com
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

What kind or rebuild article would you have if I did not destroy everything from the wing saddle back??? Maybe you should thank me.. :wink:
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it