Chris, sent you an email
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
Blue Note

Re: BulletProof Models Spitfire Mk XVI

Post by Blue Note »

Great looking plane, Chris. I knew it would just be a matter of time until you would try the clipped wing Spitfire. With the 2948 legal wing area being so much higher than the other approved models, the Spit is sure to be a tough opponent and hard to out maneuver. I suspect we'll start seeing a shift in the dominant model for the class. Nice work.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Thanks Chris, I had a feeling this would be a good platform. The surprising thing about it was how heavy it builds. My first two came in 2-3 oz. over weight and still feels very light on the wing. I love the feel of this one. My P-47 is also very light on the wing and they turn just as tight.

Somewhere in here ED Kettler had posted a handy reference chart of approved planes with wing loading and squares but I can't seem to locate it to point there. As memory serves, the Spit numbers were good, but not the best actually. I don't dwell on the data that much beyond a certain point. It's the overall looks coupled with practicallity that I start with. Is it kittable? Is it then an easy build? And the bottom line- how does it fly?

Then temper all that with reallity. It's for use in combat so form had better follow function or you're wasting a lot of time for nothing. Make it look good enough to be a reasonable representation that presents well when thrown up there for destruction and flies nicely. Keep it cheap and quick to build and promote scale like there is no tomorrow.

I've said it before but I think 2948 is the most fun, best looking, best mass appeal out of all the classes and should be the point on our promotional spear, if we as an organization have one that is...
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Chris, from what I remember of Ed's chart the P39 had the best numbers.
Lou Melancon
RCCA #484
Cumming, Georgia
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Lou Melancon wrote:Chris, from what I remember of Ed's chart the P39 had the best numbers.
Not quite. The partial spreadsheet here represents the planes at 100% scale with a wing span of 48". As you can see, there are several ahead of the P39. While it is certainly a good choice, the Clipped Wing Spitfire XII is the clear leader as far as wing area is concerned, unless you want to build a biplane. I included the list through the other Spitfires to clear up the differences.

Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Actually I had considered a P-39 and may re-visit that one again. I chose the Mk XVI as memory serves, even though it had fewer squares than the Mk XII because I couldn't find a bubble canopy version of the Mk XII. Just attempting to be practical for kit cutting and building.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Do you have a product and price list? How do I buy one of your planes?
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

David, Here's the thread in the "Swap Shop" forum where I put the product listing. To order send me an e-mail with what kit(s) you want and your shipping address to compute the shipping charge and I'll give you the total and tell you where to send the check.

http://rccombat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13756
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

I will have to help you go thru that pallet load of foam,,, and let me tell you, the way this Spitfire MK XVI flies it will be a joy . This plane is HOT and it will turn on a dime and give change back. I had everyone at the field watching the BulletProof Spitfire work thru its paces. So watch out Montague, DSDS and Dditch - I will be looking for you!
Attachments
9.19.2011.JPG
9.19.2011.JPG (380.98 KiB) Viewed 11507 times
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

This model proved itself.. No one could turn with it, Kirk said that was the first time someone out turned him in 2548 and I was on him strong. I even got my first 5 cut round in 2548 so I was all smiles so keep the kits coming Chris..
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat