BulletProof Models Spitfire Mk XVI

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

grasshpr

BulletProof Models Spitfire Mk XVI

Post by grasshpr »

Very pleased with prototype test flights. Have ordered more 2.5" foam so I can continue producing kits.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by grasshpr on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
boiler

Re: BulletProof Models Spitfire Mk XVI

Post by boiler »

Very nice looking plane Chris. Where did you find your foam?
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Finding the foam was not the real problem, it is the amount I had to order. No distributor in south FL. sells 2.5" (or thicker) by the sheet so I had to purchase a full pallet load, what they call a "lift" in order to get the thickness I want. We're talking $1500 bucks and a storage issue. It's a stack 4' x 8' x 7' or so. And the cash outlay was a real leap of faith on my part. I hope there are still pilots out there who want to fly scale warbird combat or I'll be looking for another use for this material.

In spite of the fact that this foam is costing me twice what I paid per sheet for the first 10 sheets that I got started kitting with, I will try not to raise the price but I'll have to charge actual shipping instead of a flat $15 which often fell short depending on where it was going. it's not so much that things cost more, it's the fact that our money is worth less and less. Thank your congressman for that.

The Spitfire prototype was cut from 2" scoreboard which is the only 2" available here. Being narrower, planes like the Spit and Me109 are doable from 2" but the pre cut scoring in a sheet of scoreboard is a real hassle to work around and reduces the parts you can get per sheet. While I can cut the Spit/Me fuse parts from available 2" scoreboard, I will be cutting all the wings from 2.5" so more dihedral can be cut in and built in the shucks that way. For wider kits like the Oscar, P-47, and future possibillities like FW-190 or similar, wider foam was a must.

I beleive in what I'm doing and it just came down to abandoning all the work I had put into developing the Oscar and P-47 to go on with kits that can be cut from thinner foam, redesigning my kit approach (borrowed from Mike Fredricks) to incorporate an additional piece of foam stacked in the center (not desireable), or giving up entirely.

I didn't bother with a fancy paint scheme on the prototype Spit untill I could fly it to see if it felt okay. I really like the way this one flies. I'll also kit the twin Gekko as time permits.

I should add that the prototype does not have the oil coolers under the wings which the finished kit will have. That will add to the scaleness and give it an even more Spitfire look. Unlike the scoop on a P-51 which is part of the fuse these are more like big bumps on the underside of each wing. I'll put up some pics when I add them to the prototype for testing. (The oil cooler pics have been added to the beginning of this thread) There's actually another scoop in the center that is part of the fuse and the wing that I chose not to try including. Just too much for combat.
Last edited by grasshpr on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
boiler

Post by boiler »

On the magnum 15, I never over tighten my prop spinner and before I mount the first prop, I pull the thrust washer off and spray the cone with silicon lube. I hope you got the string out of your magnum. I had about 3 feet in mine this last weekend.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

That is a fine looking airplane Chris! I applaude you for providing kits and for promoting scale like you do.

Outstanding.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
boiler

Post by boiler »

A very clean design with low wing loading. Should fly great.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
lightning

Post by lightning »

Looks good Chris!
What angle is the engine at - not inverted from the look of it?
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Hey Kieth, I thought you might like a British Warbird. I kept the color scheme on the prototype painfully simple untill it proved out. Next one will have camo and invasion stripes with some lettering. There are so many documented and colorful paint jobs for a Spit, it's one reason I liked it as a subject. My girlfriend just got back from 3 weeks in Scotland, England and Ireland. She loved it but the weather was a mite different than S. FL. Someday I hope to visit also and retrace some of my Scots ancestry.

Correct, not completely inverted, just past 90 a bit. No measured angle per se, I just rolled it over until the muffler was on center to try keeping it in cowl as much as possible, so would be different depending upon motor choice. In my P-47 kit the cowl is so big you can keep the entire muffler inboard that way but on the Spit I had to cut a little away to clear. The added benefit is a lower carb elevation for better draw in the pulling turns. I didn't use a bubbless tank this time and normal muffler pressure is working fine.

Here's a shot close up. The 2 little holes are there for access to low end needle and throttle cable set screw.

Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
lightning

Post by lightning »

What arrangement are you making for fueling?
Don't know if you remember my black MkXVIs from a couple of years back but I ended up having to run an external fuel line to fill, then flip the plane over to start. The engine was totally inverted, I like your idea better.
The danger is that the carb will flood if the line is left on and unpinched.
That is one big spinner - 3" or bigger?
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

For fueling and to perform the pinch test I have a loop of fuel tubing that can be pulled out through the engine head cutout. The loop is simply cut and recoupled with brass tube so it comes apart to fuel/defuel. So far no fuel siphoning issues. I figured I'd just throw a fuel clip on the line if needed. It starts fine upright.

The Spinner is 2-1/2". The spinner on my next project, an Me109 will be an estimated 2-3/4".

I do remember your MkXVIs from what's it been, 3 years ago at the nats? Too bad I never got to fly one for comparison. Mine ended up with a very thick wing at the root, nearly 2" but it's very light on the wing and turns hard with no snap. As soon as the thicker foam I ordered comes, next week, I'll cut another plane and add more dihedral.
Last edited by grasshpr on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Being a local West Palm pilot with access to Bullet Proof Models a stones throw away, I happen to be at the field for the maiden for the new Spitfire..I wrestled the radio from Chris and It handles as well as or better than Chris's other designs. What stands out is the speed. The best we could tach was 13,700 and this thing was still grooving. Another great design.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Pics of second Spitfire I have built from the finalized kit. Flies every bit as well if not better than the prototype.

ImageImageImageImage
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

You know I have to have one of the Spitfires... The KI-43 Oscar is still going strong and bringing home the ribbons..
Attachments
KI-43.jpg
KI-43.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 14541 times
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
lightning

Post by lightning »

Dammit Chis, those Spits might just be enough to push me back into Scale. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I skipped 2948 at the NATS this year as flying all four classes just about wore me out in 2010.
I'm thinking more and more of flying just SSC, Lim-B and 2948 and leaving the really fast stuff for the young whippersnappers! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
When do you plan to ramp up any sort of production?
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Thanks Don, the Spit is a sweet flier and not too hard on the eyes. I kept the covering scheme simple on the first 2 but there are so many cool camo schemes out there I would like to replicate if I get the time. Got one here with your name on it...

Kieth, I have already cut the first run of a dozen kits. Still have 4 left and can cut more at will now that I shelled out the big bucks for a pallet of 2.5" foam. BulletProof Models is fully operational. There are half a dozen in the hands of builders down here so I'm interested to see how they perform for everyone else. I'm blown away by how well mine fly!

The pics just above are of the second one I built for the purpose of taking instruction photos. That's done and the test flights of # 2 over the weekend were outstanding! I gaurantee you'll know when you have one of these on your tail! Watch your six!
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481