ME-410 Hornet Build

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Re: ME-410 Hornet Build

Post by Dane McGee »

Wing with strapping and bidi tape ready for covering.

Fuse covered with Oracal sign vinyl. I enjoy the details :mrgreen:

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

WOW Dane, that looks great! Doing that green house canopy would have given me a headache..... when you fly that one in Kansas, watch out for Bruce's P 38 after end combat...................
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

when you fly that one in Kansas, watch out for Bruce's P 38 after end combat...................
. hahaha.What a jokester. After And during combat I think he meant to say..That's funny though.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Twins Forever!!!!

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Wing covered and engines installed. just finished break in.......New ASP.15, MA 6x3, 30% Byron WFO for 30 seconds then cool down.....repeat three times :shock: These engines are screamers!

Almost ready for maiden :D

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Maiden:

AUW 4# , 2 ASP .15's turning 17.5K on 15% Byron.

Flew out of hand. No pitch, no launch, no nuthin. Just droppped the airplane and straight away she went. Perfect flying airplane with zero bad tendancies.....best flying warbird I've ever built. CG was spot on.
Turns tight and because it is at min weight it loses no more speed in the turns than my mustangs..... turns almost as tight. On 100% elevator throws it will loop till you get tired of looping.
Glide is like a SSC bird.

To say I'm "happy, happy, happy" is an understatement.

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Looks great Dane. Looks like you have the vinyl covering figured out. Can't wait to see it in action.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great looking plane, and making weight will make it a great performing combat plane. My third version of the Me-110 came in an ounce light, and I had to add weight to bring it into spec. It flew great until Cash killed it at LSN several years ago

I may need to rethink the design of the de Havilland Hornet to take out some more weight to get it closer to 4 pounds. Got any ideas Dane?

All this twin stuff has inspired me ... I am stretching the DH Hornet design 50% to make a 90" warbird (1/6th scale) using two .50 sized motors and 6S batteries
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Ed Kettler wrote:
I may need to rethink the design of the de Havilland Hornet to take out some more weight to get it closer to 4 pounds.

Got any ideas Dane?
Yes, the design is fine so I wouldn't change it.

Vinyl covering is heavy....not by alot but it adds up. This 410 has almost 10 ounces in covering including the camo job which is vinyl too. You could use a lightweight film or tape over white foam possibly.....or some combination of white foam and blue foam as Bob and Bruce are doing on their newest twins.

I used the lightest gear known to man that would still do the job so there is no wiggle room there. Foam and covering is where the weight is.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

My p38 is all blue foam. All vinyl covering and is about 5 oz too light. :mrgreen: And that's with not real lightweight servos. I could save another 1-2 oz in gear, and armor it up a little more on the next one. I Also switched to bladders and that might have saved some weight over the clunk tanks too but I didn't weigh anything.
Maybe we should just have Dane fly twins with one engine. Would be lighter for you and give the rest of us a chance. It's a win-win for everybody.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

.....Interesting. Sticking a 25 on the nose of the 410 might work :wink:
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Awesome plane, Dane. I've been working on the Gekko now and then. Don't know if I'll have it ready. The ASP's .15's have been out of stock for awhile now. Hopefully they will be back in soon. The bladders are at least 2 ounces lighter than 2 clunk tanks. To have a chance against Dane, he will have to put the props on backwards and fly combat inverted............
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

Dane I don't know what these guys are scared of. I think it is an awesome looking plane, and they weight is not a factor. The way I figure it Bruce will take you out on launch anyway, so the rest of us are good to go..
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Team_Oz wrote:.............. The way I figure it Bruce will take you out on launch anyway, so the rest of us are good to go..
........... :lol: :lol:

Thats why we need plenty of spares.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Hey Dane, any chance we could get you to do a tutorial on vinyl application in the finishing thread? If I have to fly in the same air with your great looking planes, i want to at least try and look half as good.
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338