Happy 10th Birthday!!!!!

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Happy 10th Birthday!!!!!

Post by Ed Kettler »

Happy 10th Anniversary 2548/2948!!!!!

Saturday February 8th marks the 10th anniversary of the first official combat demonstration contest for 2548 at the 2004 Cajun Winternationals at Sulfur, LA. I found the recognition certificate that has a photo of Big Country, Lee Liddle, Cash Hargett and myself ready to launch on a classic Dixie "frosty morn". Big Country and I were flying JW Aerotech P-47Ns, Lee had an Me-109 and Cash flew his P-51D "Cotton Tail".

I don't remember a lot about the event, other than Mark Laboyteaux, Mike Willcox and Lee leaving a wakeup call for o'dark thirty for Cash to take his pills, plus a lot of well matched planes yankin' and bankin', proving the concept we had been working on for a year or so.

Lots of good times followed, working on the basic idea, tuning based on feedback, trying to hold to the principles we set up so that it was a level playing field for all planes. Not all of the feedback was pleasant, and sometimes we had to defer to the wishes of the membership as we matured the rules to the point where they could become rule book event. It was a learning experience, as they say.

I'd like to recognize the North Texas team for getting this started: Cash, JP Morere, Lee, Bob Leone, Mark, Dane, Scott Stockwell and others who contributed their time, talents, opinions, streamers and planes as we drove down the development path. They were a great help in bringing Cash's original concept to fruition. I'd also like to thank the RCCA leadership team for their support.

To all of you have flown 2548/2948, thank you for taking part in our little escapade in reinventing WW2 scale combat. I hope you enjoy it for a long, long time!

Best wishes and Happy Birthday!
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Dane McGee

Re: Happy 10th Birthday!!!!!

Post by Dane McGee »

With 10 pilots signed up for 2948 at the upcoming Lone Star Nats, and several events scheduled nationally throughout the year, I would say that 2948 is still going strong and growing. This class works

It has been a fun 10 years flying Scale 2948 and I look forward to the next 10.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Rabbit Leader

Re: Happy 10th Birthday!!!!!

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Guys, I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it, I do. I keep thinking about building up a couple and making a meet or two...one of these days, maybe.

You know what I really miss? Me, Ed Scott and Jp pimping Cottontail all over God's green earth to try to get 2548 going...all the designs that we're being tested..it was fun. I have fond memories of Ed and I wiring up Cottontail with his Eagle Tree logger to get real speed data.

I do miss flying with ya'll....
Cash
"It's a gut-wrenching, mother-loving war.."
Cash Lee Hargett
RCCA#425