Downstream Bound

Moderator: hbartel

Feathers

Downstream Bound

Post by Feathers »

The other morning I wake up at 4:30 AM and start to pace the house. 10 minutes later I quietly sneak back into the bedroom and mistake a rollover as waking up- and ask Renee if I can start up the power tools in the shop (directly below our bedroom). Couldn’t make out all the words but I was pretty sure the answer was “no!â€
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Tim,
Thank you for that story. Your writing makes it easy to see the beauty of Wisconsin and make me wish that I could have been there paddling alongside you as you worked your way up river.

In combat, and in many things in life, there are folks who do things for themselves and for their enjoyment. Along the way some of those folks also do for others to not only increase their joy but to share their joy with other people by providing them a clear track to run on.

You are one of those people who have paved a path and brought many others along with you. You have built, promoted, organized contests and put a lot of effort into the promotion of the joy of combat. I like to believe you did it to help others out and increase your enjoyment of combat in doing so.

At some point in time the effort becomes so great, the pressures so many, and time so little that you begin to wonder why you are doing it as the joy has gone and what is left is a feeling of responsibility and that is to others and not to yourself. You have lost the joy to continue onwards against the water.

Maybe you can park your Kayak, watch the river run by for a little while, wait for the flow to ebb and turn and re-set your goal and your direction a little while you wait. Set a path that has as its first goal your own joy, and do those things that make you happy without regard to how others will percieve your change in direction. If you cannot go on against the waters on the path you are on, and others expect you to continually clear the way, the only destination you will end up in is failure. It doesn't have to be that way.

In my own case, I stopped and checked out. During my hiatus I have come to realize that I love combat and don't want to give it up. I plan to fly at the Nats, in the next local contest and keep on going from there. I love scale planes but hate to lose them in mid-airs so the scale planes I build will be electrics. I honestly cannot keep up with Open B, nor do I have the skills to fly it nor is there any equipment for it left in my workshop. I am ok with SSC. It works for me and flying only one class is enough.

Do not leave us, you have given far more than you should have, and it is now time for the sport to let itself give back to you.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Tim, when I was a teen I started to fly control line combat. My father took it up to have fun and to be with me. My bothers started to fly and my Mother always went on the outings with food prepared for all of us. It was a great family thing that we had. I'm sure Ryan and your wife enjoy the combat or they wouldn't have looked so happy when I was at Wausau. I take a week off each summer to go into the boundary waters of Minnesota. I sleep with the bears, moose,eagles, beavers , etc. We all need to forget about the rat race for awhile. Have fun with combat and your family and pull back long enough to realize that the family is number one. I left flying when my own family came along which I think now was a mistake. We could have had much more in common if I has stuck with it (just enough) to be able to include them in something that galvanized my family while I was growing up. Take care my friend, you can become obsessed with combat like me later in life but I suggest you keep a healthy interest for the present.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Tim, an excellent story, unfortunately the story comes close to home for me also. I haven't even flown in a single event this year and this last RCCA project (Troop planes) has just about completely burned me out. I think that I'm at the point where I just saw the fern but haven't figured out what to do about it!

Maybe we need to become more selfish with our time and resources. Unfortunely I really don't think that the majority cares or has a clue.

In any case I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make.
THend

Post by THend »

[:X]Felt this way for a while now, and I too do not give up...[:(!]

I have seen that fern too, thinking about turning back as well. As I read the story, I related it immediately to my own experience with combat.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Wow, I thought for a moment that I was reading a Gordan MacQuarrie story and his adventures in the Eau Claire country!! Awesome story.

Regardless of your passion, constantly fighting the river will eventually wear you down.
I have found a way to fight the river as hard as you can for a while, then coast on down to the damn and then arrive in time to head back up river with the same zeal as your first attempt.

I love to fly combat and I give it my all for about 6 months a year starting mid winter. But come about June, you'll find me out training the Lab, or putting another coat of paint on the duck boat, or on the lakes scouting new spots to hunt teal. I don't quit flying, I just quit letting it run my life.
Then, combat takes a back seat to pursuing other interests .......and I do so with the same vigor that I fly combat, wide open until end of season in January.

Can't you see.......... Then, our old endeavors are new again and all is good.

Good luck on your journey down river. I hope to see you on the way back up next spring paddling like its your first time.!!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Tim,

Thanks for the wonderful story. Let me add my thoughts ... why is Tim paddling alone? If Tim had some help from a companion (let's say he's in a canoe instead of a one-holer kayak), could he continue to move forward against the flow and pass the fern? Too often in volunteer organizations there are the few who do so much, and the many that benefit. Eventually the doers wear out, and find other things to do with their time. Either another doer is found to carry the load, or the organization collapses.

I had a guy who worked for me once who was an Army paratroop captain. One of his sayings was "There are three types of people in this world: Those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened". To the Tims, Terrys, Roys, Lous, and others of this world who make things happen, <b>Thank You!</b> For those of you who are in the second category, please step up and volunteer to help carry the load in your areas, at regional and local contests, and promote combat. Otherwise you will be standing around wondering what happened to combat.

Kettler out.
David

Post by David »

Tim,

Beautiful story! Felt like I was riding in your pocket watching the trip; if you ever publish, I'll buy a copy! While I've only been enjoying combat a short while, I understand your dilemma. It was skydiving for me; had to hang up the jump boots when I retired from the Army and go down another road. Fortunately I ran into some great guys who let me fly combat with them and take their streamers! 8)

You might try taking only three planes, like a rookie, next time you go to a meet and get back to the fun part of combat.

The river is a heady mistress, never relenting and ever full of surprises. Once you tire of her windings and meanderings, and the lure of the ferns, you can always relax and go fly a couple rounds of combat. Besides, once you get past the ferns, and all the challenge is gone, you'll probably be looking at the ferns and thinking; "Hmm, a little ranch dressing and bacon bits..."

Y'all come to Texas and let us cut your streamers!

Good luck and blue skies,

David
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Lou,

I've been thinking about this for a while. That trip up the river was almost three weeks ago now. My planes are still sitting in the garage from the meet a week and a half ago and I just keep walking past them. This is not a good sign. I've just run low on whatever fuel it takes to keep doing this. Perhaps it'll recharge- probably it will. I've never been able to sit still for long.

With the kids project I ran this spring I was at the field 3 out of four weekends running rather involved events. Add getting all our planes ready and using my one personal day again to prepare for the meet and it's like a second job.

Bob,

I agree that combat has been good for the family- and I'm lucky to have one that enjoys what I enjoy. For the third year in a row Ryan missed the scout wilderness canoe campout because of our combat meet. I'm going to be sure he doesn't miss it next year. He's very involved with scouts and I want to try to focus a little more of my time with helping there.

Roy,

You are probably the most under-appreciated member of this community. The work it must take to constantly keep membership up to date must be like the water in that river. It just never ends. I've never been good with that kind of work. And the troop project is just amazing. I didn't even participate because I thought they'll never pull this off anyway- you proved me wrong.

Terry,

Sorry you feel like me. [V]

Max,

You are right too. I don't duck hunt but I sure love taking to a tree with my bow in the fall. I could try that today but I think I'd be better off waiting for dear season. [:p]

Ed,

One thing about our area is though we are not rich with combat participation the folks that are involved are good people. I think you guys are giving me way more credit than I deserve- I just write more than the other folks around here. I hate to mention names 'cause I'll leave someone out but here's a short list:

Doug Goldman- not only ran the NPS, but worked toward getting his CD license, built a flying field in his own backyard, cuts wings for folks in his area and lets them work in his shop, and will be hosting his second NPS meet of the year in a few weeks.

Darrin Lawler- Darrin steps up and takes over NPS duties. Gets his CD license so he can take over the meet at his home field that Neil Byrd began. He supports most all of the meets in our area even though he lives on the fringe of organized combat around here and can pretty much count on driving at least six hours plus for most meets.

Al Perkins- Continues to host meets in Rockford and this year has added a third meet at their field.

Mike Fredricks- I don’t know what to say here. In my mind Mike pretty much is combat. I’ll bet if you could somehow gather stats on where every wing that was ever used to fly combat came from you’d discover that over half came from Mike’s basement. Maybe more. And this year Mike’s hosting the first-ever meet at the BARF field and has a Beaver for a prize….

There’s more but I’ll stop here…

David,

Glad you enjoyed the story. I think the closest I’ll ever get to being published is if you hit the print button. [:D]

All,

I'm going to try to stay out of here for a while too. As important as this place is for communication it's also a lot like the backwaters of that river- there's a lot of garbage floating around that doesn't belong here. After a while it starts to get to you.

Later,

Tim
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Been there and done that Tim!

After a while I just usually say the @@### with them I'm going to just have some fun! You can only do your best to keep the flow going the right direction. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. My experience with clients and combat pilots over the years is that you'll never keep them all happy all the time and some are determined to make your life miserable if you let them. I just refuse to let them! Sort of a Zen thing!

Happyness comes from within grasshopper!

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday to cut some streamers and have some fun! Weather is looking good!
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Tim,

I only met you once, freezing our a**es off in Rockford, and am new to combat, so can't provide you the sage advice you've gotten from others. But that has never stopped me from giving advice before. [:D]

I think some good responses have been made by Lou and Mike and others, guys who have been through some similar experiences. The only thing I could add is I've got to wonder if the "TeamSeaholm" monicer isn't placing additional performance pressure on you - probably self-imposed pressure, but an expectation to perform nonetheless. I mean, there you are, with the latest and greatest planes, and some old fart with a bunch of bats from TeamGeipel comes in, parties with clowns, and takes the awards. That would have anyone talking to the ferns. Of course, that guy's retired, and eats, sleeps, and lives combat, while you have other (currently more important) priorities, as well you should.

I guess the bottom line is that once this becomes work, you've lost the fun, and the reason you enjoyed the sport it in the past. Plus, you find you grossly underpaid for your effort.

FWIW, my $0.02.

By the way, don't think you're getting any sympathy steamers in Beaver Dam. [;)] My streamers are all "first come, first served". [^]

-= Dave =-
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Dave,

Please don't lay any of this on the TEAMseaholm thing. A.J. never, NEVER, laid any expectations of winning events as part of the TEAM offer- he just asked that we continue to fly with the good sportsmanship and ethics that caught his eye in the first place.

Bill has beaten me before and it didn't surprise me that he would beat me again (I've actually won very few contests ever). He concentrates all his efforts on SSC. One pilot to worry about, and one class. He is always prepared, his engines have to be trimmed back to 17,500, and he flies very well.

Three years ago- before Ryan and I both began flying a lot of RCCA events, we had club combat going strong. We didn't really need to drive anywhere to fly combat. But it was fun to travel to a contest and fly with the best in the area. Now, after a couple of seasons of traveling to most area contests club combat is dead. Some of my other planes, that I also enjoy flying, have been sitting in the corner for the last two years because I feel like I need to spend any time I can at the field on keeping our 4 Open B and 3 SSC planes (each) flying.

The last couple of evenings I've been out with a buddy of mine flying electric Tensors the last hour of the day and having a blast. I haven't touched the pile of combat planes in the garage- and I won't be making the meet tomorrow. So your streamers are safe from me.

Roy, Ed, and Bob,

I think cleaning up the forum is a bold and important move. I agree with you 100%. In fact, this thread will serve the RCCA in no positive way- and I suggest that it should be eliminated as well.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Per your request I'm locking this thread down and will remove it. Best wishes to you, your family and your lives! [:)]

Return to “Trends in Participation”