What to fly in 07. Member Poll

Moderator: hbartel

Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

JJ ,
Your right on the OPEN B issue ! $250 engine PLEASE
Who one at LSN 2006 in Open B ?
What were they using ?

TOPGUN Tom won Open B at the Nats with what ?
If you need that much speed for OPEN B .......try PYLON instead [;)]
Just my opinon which doesnt count
Mike Gullikson

Post by Mike Gullikson »

OK here's my 5-1 scale
SSC -----1
Open B - 5
2610---- 5
2548---- 1
Lim B -- 3
E3696 -- 1

Hope this helps
boiler

Post by boiler »

OK, here goes.

5 open b
5 2610
5 ssc
5 2548
5 limited b
5 3696
5 1/2A
5 gnat
5 slow sticks in the gym
5 zagi full contact at the local field

Bill Geipel suggests that my wife could attract my attention a little more if she draped herself in black crepe streamers.[:D]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

good idea jj ,hopefully someone can add it to the membership system(if they do, thanks in advance!).

here's Me
SSC-5[:p]
Open B-5[}:)]
2610-1
2548-1
Lim b-1
e3696-3[^]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

The very last thing I am doing is bashing open B. I like open B. The goal is to get combat started and keep it going over the long term. I've seen it happen numerous times when the power and technology wars burn pilots out and combat dies in that area. If everyone plays nice it never becomes a problem but combat pilots tend to be an aggressive bunch and there is one in every crowd. I admit being guilty by the way! I know you don't always have to have the latest greatest to win etc. That is always the comeback that someone won a event with a cheap low tech equipment. But the new guys that come out and see a high tech high priced setup in the hands of a good pilot rapidly get discouraged and quit.
Long term success is the goal! This is my last post on the subject! Been through this to many times before!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

JJ,
I'd like to pass along one observation, and I hope not hijack your thread. I believe that areas of the country reflect what the dominant combat organizers in that area promote. Combat is about contests and without contests there is no combat. The CDs really are the ones who control what is flown. They do have to be sensitive to what people who may come to their contest want to fly, but often they are also the ones getting others to try combat.

I think if you look at areas of the country and what they fly you will find it is more a reflection of what the area leaders promote than what the members naturally fell into flying.

I really believe the most important ingredient in popularizing combat is not classes but instead promoters. Take 2548 for instance. It is most popular where it was developed. Ditto SSC, and Limited B. We are now seeing the same thing is true of 3696. The local promoters get others to follow along. I'll go back to just reading now.
jj

Post by jj »

Lou,

Agree. The same is true in Business. Before you sink a lot of money into promotion you do Market Research to find out interest level. Even if a product has been in the market for years, you do further market research to see if what the consumers really want has changed.

A poll simply gives information to the promoters / CDs to utilize.

For example, last year in CO we had events that included 2548 out here and the CDs thought that they had enough interest to have 6 or 7 pilots, but we never got 4+ people to have planes that were flyable. A lot of the pilots that did show up got frustrated that they got planes ready and didn't have a contest. I'd like us to avoid frustration and burnout if possible. Similarly for this year several people in CO expressed interest in e3696, but it was hard to tell if that was just being nice, or real interest. From our poll it is clear that there is a lot of interest here in CO, even more than for SSC. Consequently a CD/promoter might consider adding an e3696 demo to an event. As someone who is a CD and helps to promote events, I sure like having some market research to work with reather than simply guessing what the actual interest level is.

Research is a tool to be utilized or discarded, but it is generally better than simply guessing.
Mike Gullikson

Post by Mike Gullikson »

I've got to say Lou has hit it on the nail, up here at my home field in the Seattle area it is the CD's or the most interested combat pilot that has gotten and kept it going, several years ago we just flew 2610 with only 3-5 pilots flying until I built about a dozen mustangs and sold them to the club members to fly, I also kept rebuilding them for them so I would have someone to fly against, then the spads showed up and three of use built 12 of them and put our own engines and radios in them and let any one fly them in combat. that workred to get some more pilots hooked on combat. so now we had both 2610 and open going, still not more than 7 pilots and sometime as few as 3. I took a few years off to start a home business and the club combat pilot ranks dropped sharply except for a couple dye hards god bless them.. I came back this summer and have purchased some open B planes from both AJ Seaholm and Mike Fredricks, I'm building them now for this coming season and have put the challenge out to the club to come fly at no risk for the first time to try these planes out for them selves. This has a lot of interest and I hope it will bring back some pilots.

No offence to the spad folks out there but our club grew bored with the drain pipe coroplast wings. they have seen the new hi-teck planes as some might call them that I have now got and the excitment is coming back.

So I want to thank all the folks like the Mike Fredricks, and AJ Seaholms and all the others for bringing these new planes out for the rest of us to keep combat going. if it wasn't for these folks and I know I don't know all of you, combat would be gone in our club. there's no one class better than the other in my book, so long as you have fun doing it and like Lou said, its usally the CD's that take charge and get one or the other class going.

My club is starting to go more electric in all aspects so that may be a new venture for me next year. the electric combat. So what ever your flying keep looking in your six for me and keep flying what ever it is you and your clubs fly.

Its still the most fun you can have with a remote control airplane
midair02

Post by midair02 »

SSC - 5
OpenB - 2
2610 - 1
2548 - 3
LimB - 5
e3696 - 3
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Its still the most fun you can have with a remote control airplane<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font size="6"><font color="red">ROGER THAT!!!</font id="red"></font id="size6">

Cash
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Team Scharnell</i>
<br />JJ ,
Your right on the OPEN B issue ! $250 engine PLEASE
Who one at LSN 2006 in Open B ?
What were they using ?

TOPGUN Tom won Open B at the Nats with what ?
If you need that much speed for OPEN B .......try PYLON instead [;)]
Just my opinon which doesnt count

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Open B Scores

Evan Wenger -2340
Tom Neff - 2284
Eric Wenger - 2180
jj

Post by jj »

Yup, great scores with standard gear. All running stock OS engines.

Regardless, It is good to find out what the membership is interested in flying. This will help everyone in their event planning and in terms of what to build for the 2007 season. If you don't want to use the information fine, but many of us like hearing or reading what other people are interested in flying. I especially like hearing from the members that aren't constantly bombarding the web site with opinions. Too many of us hog the site, myself included.

BTW in case anyone is not sure what this new electric e3696 class is like, check out Roy's video. But as Roy stated, no replicating this video on other sites without his permission.

www.rccagallery.com/video/E3696/FW-190&P-51.wmv
Pathous

Post by Pathous »

OpenB 5
SSC 3
Limb 1
2610 4
2548 1
E3696 1
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I don't mean to class-bash so I hope I don't appear to. My sons and I fly every class we can get our hands on. Some we like better than others but all combat is good and we take it where we can get it. I'm sorry but to me there is no denying that power is an advantage. Look at NPS winners/top finishers over the last three years in 2610 and B (where you have more engine options) and most are Webra users. Yes there are the Toms and Erics and Evans who can overcome a power deficit with exceptional talent. The rest of us rely on power, judging by history and not just one meet. The record shows that power IS, in general, a significant advantage. So will be the Russian-style planes, if they catch on. WHY everyone is not flying Webras or the even more powerful Foras, etc, I honestly can't answer for sure. The overall user-friendliness, durability, consistency, and low cost of the OS is probably the answer (the webra is no more expensive but is more finicky). But I truly believe that those who do jump on board the power bandwagon will be advantaged. If you look at u/control combat, all classes are dominated by hipo engines and it is what I would term a "boutique" event, why it hasn't happened yet in r/c I can't answer but it is a distinct possibility. And that option exists in B, where it does not in LimB, 2548, and SSC. If it ever does get to the point (and the possibility exists with the rules we have) that to be in contention in B, you need gobs of power, we will really limit ourselves in terms of pilot pool. There's only so many who can, and will, take that step. The performance-limited classes keep it more open to the up-and-comers.

Although I wrote the rules for LimB, that doesn't mean I push it, or even prefer it. In fact I don't fly much, and it's probably Brian's least favorite class. We both like the fast stuff, to be frank. But we both also much prefer flying combat with others, rather than alone. Combat works better when we have others to fly it with. In our region, SSC, LimB, and even Lim 1/2A have gotten quite a bit of interest and folks like to fly them. We have a busy spring ahead of us and the most heats will be SSC and LimB, with a fair amount of B as well but not as much. Some hard-core veterans in our area still like Scale and miss 2610, we tried 2548 and mostly liked it but it just didn't catch on, the entrant pools have been very small. It is fun to fly, though!

Composite scores for Eric, Brian, and I, first number is "plan to participate," second is "preference/enjoyment":

LimB 5,4 (Eric and I like, Brian not so hot)
B 5,5 (Brian loves, I like a lot, Eric not tried yet but sure he will like when the time comes)
SSC 5,4 (we all like to fly it but it's not perfect)
2610 5,5 (Brian and I love it, Eric not tried)
2548 5,5 (Only Brian has flown, he really likes it)
Lim 1/2A 5,5 (Tons of fun)
E3696 1,n/a (just watching, already doing 6 classes and won't take on another until we see how it pans out, but looks interesting!)

We don't like building and maintaining 6 fleets! But we go to where the combat is. If we stuck with 2610 and B, our "first loves," we would not be flying much combat!
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

SSC 4 Ill fly it cause its offered at most B events but i dont love it
OpenB 5 speed is fun ( probably my worst scoring class)
2610 1
2548 1
LimB 4 (only really want to fly it because I can use my open plane)
e3696 1

Sean

* Comentary is submitted because I dont feel that a strict numbering system truly presents an individuals preferance for classes, only what they intend to fly for the 07 season.[:D] What you plan to fly is sometimes different from what you would like to fly.

Return to “Trends in Participation”