Glimpse of AMA`s Rules Board`s Smoke Filled Room

Moderator: hbartel

Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Drew,
I quit smoking after doing it everyday for 40 years, and will stay quit but.... If I had a cigarette right now I would burn my lips on the first drag.
Pathous

Post by Pathous »

Lee 2548 doesn't work at altitude. The prop isn't the biggest factor it's the weight. The planes are just too heavy. I was at three of the contests in Colorado wich held their version of 2548. These planes were runing cans and any prop they wanted. I was launching for Allen it took a very hard throw to get a reliable launch. Also when the wind picked up they flew porely.
The thing is most who fly in thicker air don't seem to grasp this concept or just doesn't care because it works just fine for them.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Pathous, I'm going to take a bit of umbrage at your assertions. I used to live in Littleton CO, and worked with Randy Hodges and George Kerr to try to find something that worked for the high altitude folks for 2548. Did we go far enough? Probably not, but I'm looking for input and advice
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">There is a provision for a different prop above 3500ft. If that doesn`t work, maybe we should find out what does work and modify the altitude prop/rpm numbers for altitude<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It sounds like I care. I`m all for having whatever high altitude mods that are needed for it to work. The main thing is that the airframe needs to be the same, so that people can travel and compete.

You guys have a solid scale group. I`d like to see your efforts recorded nationally for pilot and area recognition, but also to have a record that scale does work and is being flown on a regular basis.
Pathous

Post by Pathous »

My sugestions are. Reduce the min weight to 2.75lbs and allow the mas 9x4 or apc 9x3 props. I haven't tested this so I don't know if they will work.

Scott
THend

Post by THend »

[8D]

Return to “Trends in Participation”