What would pay for an ARF?

Moderator: hbartel

aseaholm

What would pay for an ARF?

Post by aseaholm »

I believe if an ARF version of a quality competitive RC combat design were available on hobby store shelves we'd see a big boost in participation. Buy everything you need in one shot, 1 hour of assembly time, and go chase some streamers.

What do you think is a reasonable price for such an ARF?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Tower hobbies sells a 2610 Corsair arf for $100. Its balsa and ply. I've seen a few so they sell at that price. They fly well but are not durable in mid-airs or dirt naps. They are a lot more labor intensive to build but are probably built in China.
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

Bob,

I was thinking along the OPEN/Limited/SSC lines but GP ARF scale kits are a good example...
montague

Post by montague »

Well, the Battle Axe guys sell ARF versions of their planes once in a while, and they seem to sell pretty well. I'm not sure of their pricing or whatnot, but if you can get the price below $100 they would sell plenty.

Thing is, unlike most RC events, you need multiple, and once guys figure that out, even $100 ARFs are "too much". So while I think you'd get a bunch of new guys with 1 airplane showing up, I think most of them would then disappear. Not that it wouldn't be worth it, just saying.

If you can price it around $75, then I think you'd do quite well.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I agree with Kirk, if the goal is to sell one or two in order to get guys started and get combat planes on the shelf at hobby stores, $100 area works. For the fleet builders it will be too much and they will progress back to the kits and home brew stuff. I believe it is a great idea to get newb's in the door though!
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

For the NEWBIE'S, you said it all .... "for the fleet builders". If I was a new pilots that wanted to come into this sport and try to combat against anyone and I show up to an event and I see pitted next to me (Lee Liddle) with 8-10 combat planes, fully ready to fly, what am I going to think.. either I spend the TIME and MONEY to dive in over my head with equipment or tuck tail and run. I know this was on another thread and should stay there but... If the events were held to a limit of how many planes you were aloud to compete with, then I would think that I as a new comer to the sport I would buy ARF's compete and some events and then see how to build combat plane with all the other pilots ideas and know how's to get my own fleet going. But without going to event and competing against other pilots in your area or in another state, the newbie would never have the chance to find out how to build... I know when I began, I started building the HOR, because that was the only plan I found worth building, we all know there is no HOR that is competitive. And to keep up with the Liddle's of the world, its too much. Too much time building and repairing. The sport has gone to a fur ball flying because the RCCA allows to bly as many planes as we want.... Sorry Lee that I picked on you, not personal. I too wish that I could buy $100 AFS too fly in combat, But what is your time worth to build multible planes???? What would you think the cost of a well designed plane, that has taken years of some of the top pilots in the RCCA to come up with, countless hours of flight time with proto types.. going back and forth to the drawing board?? Cost of materials? Do the math, see what you think is resonable. And then would you buy it.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

AJ, I think that as long as modular replacement parts were available the price could be $100 to $125. With a replacement wing that costs $60 to $70.

You have a good design that`s durable and easy to repair. The fuse and tail feathers will hold up well for a long time. It`s the wing that need to be replaced more often. So as long as the wing is in that price range, I think that it would work.

I think that I`d have a plane with a conventional stab instead of a flying stab though.<font size="5"></font id="size5">
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

PS That`s alright Scott, you just better watch your 6 on the 17th.
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

The AVENGER kits have become popular here in OKC - so much so that there was a request for ARF wings. At the request of the local hobby store, I built 10 wings which were sold for $60 each. Last one was sold two weeks after hitting the shelves. I am sure there will be another request, but I don't want to be the one keeping up with local building needs.

The $60 price range for a wing is confirmed.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Good thing the LHS didnt have too pay S&H for those large boxes.

As for the price $125 - $150 is the norm for most .40 sized ARF's
And Electric planes for that matter

Could you explain the ARF wing though????
Is that glued together and BiDi'd , uncovered ( ARC )almost ready too cover or is that built and covered for that $60.....?
dirko

Post by dirko »

As a newcomer, I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I started with a three pack of Avengers from AJ. They are great flying planes and were a very good start. I went to my first event with only two ships and struggled.

At NATS I crashed one, had help with a second and quickly ran out of planes. I bought a Battle Axe at NATS from Alex.

I decided that if were going to stay in combat, that I could not do it buying kits.

Now I'm building Phenceposts with componets by Dr. Evil. I think I can compete, But I feel it has a lot more to do with pilot skills rather than equipment. To me having fun is more important than winning. But with my skills, I have to feel that way.

P.S. I still have two SSC avengers and the Battle Axe.

See Ya out there.[:)][:D][8D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Frank, Evan, Eric`s dad, as telling me about the wings that Eric built. They were bi-died but not color taped. I don`t know if the ailerons were already attached, but I would think that they were.

I`m not sure if there is room for a retailer to take his cut. I think that direct marketing would work, word of mouth and the various forums should do the trick.
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Frank/Lee - The wings were ARC. Aileron servo and receiver cutouts were provided, as was the antennae tube. Wing centering pins (AVENGER design feature) were included, holes drilled, but not installed since it is easier to tape without them.

Remaining work would be colored tape, control horns, aileron servo, linkages, glue centering pins and receiver.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

On the retailer side you are right, Lee.
I had kits on the wall at 1 time for combat planes.
And they sat there,after the customer who wanted too try combat figured out what the total price would be too start ( radio gear,engine,colored tape BiDi )
You can suggest what too use,but modelers use what they have.
example: Full size servos,full size RX, and AAbat, and what ever motor they had laying around.

Eric, for $60 thats a good deal in my book for a wing.
Since the B2 AVG is what $75 plus S&H.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Biggest problem with wings is they cost a fortune to ship due to the large size. Maybe a system could be made to allow the wing to ship in 2 halves but it would probably be a weak spot and would also add a fair amount of weight. When you can buy the cores for 15$ and all you need is rods and wood to complete I think most experienced guys would build it themselves. Probably some new pilots might buy an arf to get started but if your going to fly combat regularly your going to spend a lot of bucks on arfs.

Return to “Trends in Participation”