AMA District X Rules Committee Rep.

Moderator: hbartel

THend

AMA District X Rules Committee Rep.

Post by THend »

I sent the following email out this morning.. I think it will be healthy to get some new blood into these positions. BTW, I am not going away, or quitting combat..just willing to give someone else a turn in the barrel. [:D]

<font color="blue">Greetings,

My name is Terry Harner, AMA member 6576. In 2001 I met Rich Hansen at the AMA convention, where I volunteered, and was accepted to be on the radio controlled combat rules committee for the AMA. I have and continue to support the AMA and the membership.

However, after long thought, I will be stepping down from this position. I have notified many other radio controlled combat pilots in our district of this decision and I hope one of them is up for the challenge.

Feel free to contact me regarding any questions you may have.

Regards,

Terry Harner
AMA 6576
RCCA 423</font id="blue">
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks for your work over the years.Your work has been appreciated by those of us that aren't as savy about such matters. Have you, Chris, and any one else got a fix for scale ready to submit as a proposal? Lou said it had to be in before the end of next month. We have the NATS planning meeting on September 29th.
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Working on it, but you know how it goes. Kids, work, house in no particular order take precedent.[:)]
THend

Post by THend »

I think the important thing is to fly what you like, and have fun doing it.

We have learned that Scale can be flown without NPS, the NATS, the RCCA or anyone else and still be fun. The problem IMHO is that scale kits need to be available, durable, easy to build etc.. So, we need kits, to get kits we need to settle on a platform.

If we can settle on a 48 inch wingspan platform for scale, then I believe scale will be flown around the country alot more as kits become available. Now, which version you choose to fly should be based upon what makes you happy.

If you are having fun, that is the true test.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I only fly for fun and agree with you. There are a few kits out there for 2610 that will work for 2548. They are not as competitive as the long wing planes that can be found in 2610. They are either fragile or difficult to assemble. If the scale could be the same for both classes, some guys might move from their little corner to fly at another venue and more kits would become available. The little 3696 planes are a real fun factor and move slow enough for spectators to see and follow. I may burn out chasing 7-8 classes but would like to see some concessions from different people that love their particular favorite class so I wouldn't have to build different ships for each one. Combat is growing within a 100 mile radius of my house but I still need to drive nearly 2 hours to find someone to fly with on an afternoon.
THend

Post by THend »

I think E 3696 looks very promising, but again settle on a platform, then go from there. I'd take a look at what is being mass produced already, and maybe consider setting the core specs so they would be included. I think Hobby Lobby has an entire line of WWII fighters out that are perfect for E. Maybe not as durable, but it may get some folks giving it a go. I remember when we would blow expanding foam into our framed up models to add some toughness..
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

And using a bit too much of that and get a blow up fuselage! Did that to a Airkill Mustange... had a bulbous aft fuse! [;)]
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

Bob I think you hit the nail on the head. The scale classes are so different that I can not stay ahead of the building curve to compete in more than 1 scale class. This is partially due to the lack of kits. I have solicited JKA to cut 2548 planes. But I have not got any response yet. 2610 does not seem to be going well in FL. and I cannot commit to 3696 because of build time and again no kits are available. I like to use kits due to Blue foam has to be ordered in FL. We dont need it to build houses with and I dont have cutting equipment. I think part of the answer is to find common ground on the airframes. Then I would not mind tweaking for restricted classes to fly other events or classes.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

We are working on the 3696 kit problem. Will have a Zero out shortly, followed by others soon.

Terry, thanks for your work on keeping the west coast in combat, and wish you and Keith good luck on whatever you come up with for scale rules.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Ed, slight correction - Chris Shepherd is drafting some 2548 rule proposals. He and I have had some discussion to find common ground.
I don't know who else was involved.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

My apologies, Keith.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cccdad</i>
<br />Bob I think you hit the nail on the head. The scale classes are so different that I can not stay ahead of the building curve to compete in more than 1 scale class. This is partially due to the lack of kits. I have solicited JKA to cut 2548 planes. But I have not got any response yet. 2610 does not seem to be going well in FL. and I cannot commit to 3696 because of build time and again no kits are available. I like to use kits due to Blue foam has to be ordered in FL. We dont need it to build houses with and I dont have cutting equipment. I think part of the answer is to find common ground on the airframes. Then I would not mind tweaking for restricted classes to fly other events or classes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Craig,

There are a few kits out there. Lee has made a few and I have my Hellcats as well.

So far not too many takers, so sometimes I wonder if the lack of kits is really the problem.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I don't know about Lee's kits but I can attest to Drewjet's as being very durable. I've flown into a tree and also into the ground numerous times. I didn't even break the firewall untill last week. It used 1/16th ply. I cut a new one of 3/32 ply. I think Drewjet switched to that after I got the plane last December. I'm sure Lee's are durable as well but haven't flown any yet.
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

With all due respect Drew cut some foam for 2548 hellcats for me. I put building them off for a little while because they needed a bit more effort to complete. I did finish the first of three and I am quite happy with the result and it flys well ( Thanks Drew). My point is that, Some of the classes would do well and participation might go up if there was some crossover in airframes. For example for those that want to go faster loosen up the engine/ muffler restrictions on the 2548 planes(dont kill me for even thinking this) and call it the new 2610 per se. I can them compete in multiple classes without several fleets of planes.

The same train of though could be used on 3696. to have a limited and an open class that use the same airframes.

I know I could participate more if I did not have to build a new fleet for every class. Even AJ Seaholm made the B2 versital for open B Limited B and SSC.

I think kit manufactures will follow if there was a "standard size" airfarme.
THend

Post by THend »

Hey, District X needs a combat Rep for the AMA rules committee

Like Lee Liddle mentioned, it should be someone who has been involved in RC Combat on a continuous basis. Someone who has been involved all along.

I don't expect to see someone show up, from out of the blue, who has not been regularly part of the combat scene. I have been contacted by the AMA, and will gladly provide an endorsement for anyone who fits the bill.

District X is Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Hawaii

Who is ready to take the challenge?

Return to “Trends in Participation”