Muncie NATS attendance

Moderator: hbartel

cshepherd

Re: Muncie NATS attendance

Post by cshepherd »

sgilkey wrote:this last photo is significant because it shows that I, Pit Boy, was actually at least one time actually IN THE WOOD!!!! Although i don't seem to be holding it in this photo????
It must be the invisible 6th place award from 2002 for flying 2610. :)
Chris Shepherd
RCCA #139
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

cshepherd wrote:
sgilkey wrote:more old photos found, this time digital! House cleaning can be fun!

Just have to love the camo pattern ripstop nylon with the completely scale roadside sign tail feathers! :shock: :shock:
road sign was a field repair! we took a beating for the uglyass fulmars and did better with subsequent builds. i particularly liked our yellow target tug Battles. geez those were SWEET but they attracted pursuers like flies to dog poop.

there were plenty of other uglyass scale planes, need we dicsuss the rudder-only Firefly????? probably the most egregious example!!!!

i'm not here to rehash old scale fidelity arguments, just having fun with some old photos.

I knew MF's name, I was just being coy. The initials MF could stand for some names that are even more appropriate, but I digress..........
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
The End

Post by The End »

It is a very long and expensive trip from California. Travel by air to save time you lose $$$, drive to save $$$ and you lose time.... I don't even know if air travel is even an option since 9/11.

If one overcomes the above dilemma, one finds themselves in Muncie preparing to fly in the NATS, be it RCCombat, control line, 3D, Heli... blah blah...

To me, the NATS at that time (2001) meant: 10 Rounds of Open B for me, 10 Rounds of 2610 Scale for Bilinski. Despite really challenging weather it all happened.

Maybe my reason for going to the NATS back then was wrong. I went because I wanted to fly 10 rounds of Open B.

Money and time have to be a factor in NATS attendance, if it was nearby and easy to get to, why not go?

So, my basic theory is this:
1. The pilot has to want what is being offered
2. The pilot has to have reasonable belief that he will get what is offered
3. The pilot has to have the $$$ to get to Muncie and enter

So, I guess it starts with having an event that has what pilots want, and working with the AMA to ensure the pilots get it. Again, time is the enemy here along with questionable weather. It is a huge crapshoot to go through all of this with no guarantee your official rulebook class won't get shutdown prematurely. For that matter it is a huge crapshoot if your unofficial class gets cut short in your opinion too...

BTW, I won an RCCA membership in the last combat raffle so I looks like I'll be back for a bit!! HA!

Return to “Trends in Participation”