Look what the Czechs are up to...

Moderator: hbartel

rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Lou real combat fighters have two props!!!! This is what I am talking about.
From this years Reno race.
http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bender,
The balsa sheeted foam wings have enough strength without spar for flight. A very short "stub spar" would work with this type of wing. I think you would need two spars to keep the wing from twisting under load.

Ron,
I flat out love that plane. One day I will build one and kick butt from Florida all the way to Maine with it.
Bender

Post by Bender »

Ron, wrong answer. Real fighter has three props http://amocs.com/projects/camcorder/index.htm
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Ron and, I love that plane too. It's a real shame its not leagal in 2548.

Lou have you picked a subject plane yet?

Drew
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Not yet Drew, I've gotten sidetracked. It will be either a Dinah, TigerCat or DH Hornet.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

Lou,

How do you connect / glue the firewall onto the fuselage...any tricks there ?
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

TopSpeed,
The Hyzik Me209 has the firewall molded in. It is fiberglass. For SteinModels and other planes with wood firewalls that fit into glass fuses I have used Elmers Ultimate Polyurethane glue on the edges then built a fillet of glue behind them.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

Thanks Lou,

I am pretty sure Elmers Ultimate Polyurethane glue cannot be found here, but I try to find something similar.
BTW I talked to a dude who professionally builds hovercrafts for people that live in the archipelago of Abo. He said that he uses styrene to soak the wood first..then laminates it with glass fibre. If the wood is not soaked first it will rot inside the fiberclass...anyway there is no need to cover the wood totally here.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have found that epoxy with micro-balloons makes a good glue for such firewalls. If the firewall is just a three layer ply, I suggest replacing it with a five layer ply. Much more durable for combat.
NAES

Post by NAES »

Topspeed, Polyurathane glue is fairly common and I'm sure you can find a similar substitute in Finland. Check any aviation supply shops and see what they can come up with. Gorilla glue is another brand name common here.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

<font face="Arial"><font size="4">More progress to report on the Me209H. Today it is close to being ready to go to paint. Here is what it looks like right now:

<center>Image</center>

It weighs 2 lbs even as shown but still needs the receiver, battery, two aileron servos, all linkages, and a finish to be done. It will be easily under 3lbs

<center>Image</center>

I am not the builder that Mr. Hyzick is so I cut the ailerons free and hinged them with easy hinges. The engine is now mounted and the spinner's back edge is actually slightly inside the cowl making for a very neat and sanitary installation.

<center>Image[/</center>
</font id="size4"></font id="Arial">
boiler

Post by boiler »

Gee,,....... I've never heard "neat" or "sanitary" used to descrive a combat plane before. Do you quilt too Lou?[:)]
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Its a southern gentry thing Bob, quite beyond the grasp and understanding of either boilermakers or yankees. I can draw you some pictures which may help a little.
THend

Post by THend »

[:D]As a contest organizer, it is tough to decide what to do for scale. However, we feel we have found a solid middle ground with our class of Scale combat. Basically, it is 2610, but we allow folks to scale up to 48 inch wingspan too, so they can fly their favorite plane. They don't have to be 48 inches, but are allowed to build up to it. We haven't ironed it all out, and it may not be perfect, but you can fly what you want including these fine kits.

So Lou, plan a trip to SoCal and bring those birds. You'll fly against other percieved oddballs[:D], some not so odd[:p], and the well known frontliners[:0].

It is an invitation for everyone to fly a WWII War Bird in a competitive and fun event.[:D] Don't be shy, you can hold a contest using our basic rules in your neck of the woods too!

Regards
AREA-52
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Terry,
My feeling is that most modelers, given a choice, would prefer to own a scale airplane than a non-scale one. The same feelings, I believe, carry over to combat.

I have these WWII fighter kits and want to build and fly them so I can see scale fighters in flight. If we have a Dixie Nats in 2006 I will fly them in combat. If not I will take them to any 2610 contest that I can make it too.

I don't have a preference for one scale class over another, there are so few contests to go to now, how could one pick any class other than the one that is flown within reasonable driving distance.

Best regards.