Pica FW-190

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Pica FW-190

Post by Ed Kettler »

Anyone built one of these planes? I have it about 70% done, and noticed that the cowl seems to be about 1/4" to small in diameter to go over the firewall. It looks like ABS (or maybe even a small bleach bottle bottom!). Can it be stretched, or do you have to slice it up?

This is the first balsa plane I've built in over 30 years ... the last one was a Baby Ringmaster when I was 16.
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

Ed,
I built 2 of Pica's Fw 190A kits when they first came out ('99?), one with an OS.15FP, the other with an OS.25SF. The cowls in both kits were vacuformed ABS and fit fine. Maybe Pica changed the supplied cowls in the later kits to something 'off-the-shelf' to save money?

Here's a shot of the first one with the .15FP:

D
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Very nice! Do you still have it? Are you going to be flying any combat this year?

Ed
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

Thanks Ed! I crashed the .25 powered '190 the first season I had it, and gave the .15 powered one away that fall.

No, I won't be flying combat until my kids are grown (they're 14 now). I doubt I'll get in any R/C flying at all again this year.

D
slam

Post by slam »

sorry to hear that darin.

hope you get to fit in some fun for yourself while raising the young ones the right way. i respect all parents that put their kids before themselves. sometimes you can get them involved with some of your passions and it is a win-win.

good luck
slam
boiler

Post by boiler »

Brian (the kid) Gilkey was kicking butt when he was 14. I left model aviation when my family came along and didn't return until a year after I retired. I felt time working extra jobs to bring up the family was more important. Maybe so, maybe not. I didn't have as much time with the kids as I would have liked especially doing things that I liked and could help them with. That's history now and it only applies to me. Just something to think about.
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

Thanks SLam. Oh yeah, we do have a lot of fun! They just don't show any interest in R/C flying. Even though I gave them a good introduction, they just aren't into it (teenage girls can be funny that way...).

D
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

My 11 year old son just picked out his design for a 2548 ship. F4F Wildcat. 1940 style white with yellow wings. Got started building yesterday. My 15 year old son has shown some intrest but his mind is more on a car. Our 14 year old daughter is another story entirely.

If you can't recruit someone to fly against, GROW ONE!!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

be careful with growing your own combat competitor, i did that and he's been beating me for years. i have another one i'm raising and i'm guessing the same things going to happen with him!
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Mike, when you get the F$F built, post some pics and a flight report if possible. Your son has good taste in fighters!!

Cash
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

I am actually photo documenting the build like the P-51 build that was done on the forum to prove to everyone that even an 11 year old can handle one of these things!! First set of photos should be up next week.