Scale 1/2a Spitfire build-along

Moderator: hbartel

cipoll717

Scale 1/2a Spitfire build-along

Post by cipoll717 »

Thought I'd share my latest build project- A scale 1/2a Spitfire.
Wingspan = 32". Power = AP 0.061 Wasp. Builds really fast. Total build time approx.: 4 hours so far, 1-2 to go. This will be added to my battle hardy fleet of scale P-39 WW2 combat birds. These planes fly really well. Not the performance of limited open-1/2a, but still great little scale flyers, and great combat fun!

The fuse, hand drawn on 2" foam:

After jig-saw administered:

rough planed with planer:

slot for tail surfaces:

with tail attached:

Wing- a modified Hat-trick Arrow wing to 32". 4 servos total, all HS-56's-

The engine mount and hole. Use 8" single aluminum u-channel-

Engine glued in with a little poly&water. 2 oz. round tank-

Progress to date. Intermim weight = 10.4 oz. (minus battery, recx, control arms, prop, tank innards, throttle servo, tape, and a couple rubber bands).

Will finish when I get back from vacation- hopefully in time for Detroit weekend after next.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thanks for the build along photos, Mark. These types of articles are very helpful!
boiler

Post by boiler »

I think this type of plane will revitalize large numbers of scale fliers. I hope Mark has a Scale 1/2 A meet this year. I have a Zero with a 32 inch wing that I built in a flash using Marks techniques.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

Latest <b>1/2a SPITFIRE</b> build update-

Finished adding radio gear and taping. Only thing left to do now is add the fuel tank lines, trim and fly.

Finished weight = 14.5 oz.
Wingspan = 32.5"
Battery = 350 mAh NiMH
Receiver = Hitec HFS-04
servos = HS56 * 4
fuel tank = Sullivan 2 oz. round
total build time = approx. 6 hours
estimated fuel consumption = 1-2 streamers per minute at full throttle.

Radio gear install

After taping

finished up

Lookout Detroit - fighters in the sky !!! I'll post a flight report as soon as available.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

Flight report:

Engine break in-
Used a shortened APC 5.7*3 prop. I cut off about 3/4" off each end, making it about 4-4.5 inches long. Ran Powermaster 15% very rich for the first minute, then occasionally leaning it out and letting it rev up momemtarily. Last 1/2 ounce I let her spin up, then richen, lean out, then spin up, etc. until the tank was done. Switched prop to 5.7*3 and next tank was airborne break-in, running real rich. Next tank leaned her out to about -500rpm, and she was turning a solid 17.5.

Flight report: first thing I noticed was a need for some significant right aileron trim. Not sure why this was needed? After that tried wringing it out and was very satisfied with the performance. I dont know if it is the weight, (about 1.5 oz. lighter than my other 1/2a scale warbirds) or the airfoil (I'm guessign this is big factor), but this thing just flat out flys excellent for a scale bird. Incredible turning ability and good speed thru the turns. CG is at the spar, which I initially feared may be too far back, but after flying, think this is about right.

Final summary:

Pluses:
- great flying scale airplane.
- fast build time
- nice looking scale lines
- tough and durable (need some testing time on the HS56's though)
- combat ready plane

minuses:
- designer did not include manual
- not enough time to fly as much as I would like