Spitfire wings at AREA-52

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Spitfire wings at AREA-52

Post by THend »

[:D]Well, it is all set up on the bench and ready to cut. Ole Butch Abongen aka "K9" or "The Nail Man" is on his way over in a bit, and we will fire up the feathercut and see what happens.

Photos have been taken and will be posted tonight or tomorrow.

This is a 48" wingspan Spit... don't ask me what Mk number it is, or who flew it, or what squadron it was in....

It will look like a Spit, and that will have to be good enough[:D]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Can't wait to see it. I've got several Spit fuses and tails for 3696 cut, but the wing is taunting me from the pile of foam in the corner....

I use a feathercut, too, and can't wait to see how you do it. I bought the Tekoa video thinking it would impart some magical ability to cut an elliptical wing, only to end up more afraid to do it than before.....
THend

Post by THend »

Well, the cut hit a snag and the bow hung up on the template. I also noticed something I need to fix on the tip template. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

The feathercut is easy to use, just got to do it.

As for the elliptical wing, Petr Bachan made some a few years back, and I think I finally got it figured out.

Butch took off with the first wing half, he was jazzed over the whole thing. I was too, but want to work out some snags, and then I'll show the whole deal.

Spits.... what a cool plane[:p]
lightning

Post by lightning »

Hey Terry - as a 2610 and 2548 Spit pilot I look forward to your pics.
My 2548 was a "clipped wing" version to maximize wing chord and therefore area. It was too much and the plane was slow in comparison with others in the air. I look forward to your assessment of an elliptical 48" wing.
If you mass produce I may even be interested in a pair of wings for my forlorn 2548 fuses sitting in my garage - wings were trashed at Nats last year.[:p]
I'd have to change my color scheme for 2610 tho' - black was a "Wing Commanders personal hack" and therefore not a combat color scheme.
Anyone need any black rip-stop nylon??
THend

Post by THend »

Well, yesterday I figured out a slick way to bend foam.

So, I tried to cut another wing half.

The current jig makes a perfect P47 wing! LOL! So, I will not destroy it as you never know someone might want a P47!

I designed another bending board last night, got more kick in it. Ole Butch is on his way over to lend a hand, and we'll cut another one on the new rig to see what we got.

I do have pics, once I get a reasonably decent looking spitesque wing I'll post.
THend

Post by THend »

[:D][:D]

I think we may have a winner!

First, some shots of the upgraded cnc rig. I added linear rails on all axis, and IGUS cable guides. Everything runs smooth.

Here is the Feathercut setup with the first bending board. It was tough to get the foam to bend ompletely into the curve. The bottle jack addressed that issue with no problem at all!

Here, Hollywood Starlet Butch displays the wing half made on the new bending board. I think it looks pretty good.[8D] A little sanding to round the wingtip and it should look like a spit wing. Clipped is easy to make..

A little pretend bench flying. That fuse is for SSC, so it is shorter.

If there is enough interest, I could write up something for the workshop section to augment Petr Bachens original write up.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Cool! If I'm looking at it right, and understanding correctly(doubtful), you use the same template at the tip as you do for the root, just using the bending jig to effectively shrink the tip template, right? I have no mathematical aptitude, and looking at Petr's great work only sends me rolling on the floor babbling like an idiot...
THend

Post by THend »

That is correct! Same template root and tip, the jig raises the tip, same wire speed both sides. The new jig has more elevation change, but does not have as much kick, so the bending of the board is fairly easy to do with some weights. I'll probably rig up the bottle jack to the beam above though [:)].
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great work Terry!
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Hey Terry,

I heard this was what you have been up to while we were building Migs. Butch has been giving me the blow by blow info on the spitfire project. What a challenge it must be. I hope the work all pays off with a few nice spitfires. I can't wait to see them. Sure wish they were gonna be ready for the SSC on the 20th.

By the way I got my 2nd Mig put together. I posted a picture of it in the SSC San Diego build thread. That thing is a rocket.

Good luck on the build. Even if the spitfires are not ready by the 20th maybe you will be up for the SSC post event debrief at Ringer's.
THend

Post by THend »

Nice looking Mig! You did a great job, and I am glad to see folks still interested.

As far as the 20th, I'm on it. Heading back out to the router now to cut more parts and a wing sanding template.

My foot has healed enough to where I can kinda get around on my own, still in a boot and on crutches. Everything is still a complete hassle, but I got to try and do something.... I can't stand just sitting around..

The SSC Spit is pretty much Butchs pet project, and I am trying my best to help him realize his ideas.

I have a different approach on SSC.....more to follow.[:D]
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Well I look forward to seeing whats in your SSC bag of tricks. Could it be that you will put a fuselage on that set of P-47 wings???[:D]

It will be a kick to see what happens on the 20th. It sure seems like the competition will be pretty heated. I guess Butch still has a streamer with my name on it. Everyone claims that the 20th will be the day my bad luck will arrive. They keep reminding me that it's a combat plane and does not have to look so pretty. They say I'm not really a combat flier until I have a mid-air and that one of those pretty little migs could wind up deep in the jungle on the 20th.

One thing about my 2nd Mig is that it flys way better than it looks. I think if you take the time to make it look good then it's likely that you will also take the time to build it straight. Let me know if you guys need a hand with your build prior to the next SSC. I don't need another plane but I'd be willing to help out. It would be nice to see a foam core build. I am also pretty excited to see the spitfire project come to completion one day.
THend

Post by THend »

I think it was "Mr. Clean", or was it "Sheepy".... who said..

"Build them knowing the tails will be sticking out of a garbage can"

Build straight, build fast, and when it dies, waste no part of the animal while you gut it.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Terry, I'd be real interested in getting one of those SSC Spitfires if you put them up for sale. I really liked flying my SSC scale planes the first year we started it. Let me know if you do go into production.
THend

Post by THend »

Sure thing Lou, if we do....