Spitfire wings at AREA-52

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Post by THend »

I'll see what I can do. 36 inch wingspan electric sounds kinda fun too.
THend

Post by THend »

Finally got my Spit off the bench and into the air. Maiden was as boring for this one as the first, two clicks of left aileron trim was all that was needed. Flies very nice, this wing has more dihedral than the first, and is rock solid in the air.

The marking scheme is of a captured Spit I had seen on the net. It definately gets folks looking...they see Me109 at first then take a second look and see the Spit. [:D]

Here is a pic with my youngest son Brad holding the ship.

o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

SSSSSWWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!
looks like a picture of somebody in the cockpit, whos the pilot?
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

looks great TH. you should bring that up saturday and demo it for us LOL. I have a couple of corostangs and we could have WW2 combat hehe
THend

Post by THend »

Donald Trump.... he is MY Apprentice...

It was going to be Paris Hilton, then Micheal Jackson.... then the Trump pic was the right size for the cockpit.

He works for me now...[:p]
THend

Post by THend »

Well, AREA-52 is in high gear these days. The SSC Spitfire fuse is being used as a test subject for future AREA-52 scale projects. We are making a mold for the fuse. We are well aware of the pros and cons of using a fiberglass fuse, but our major focus is to pop out a fuse that is ready to go. We're working on it...

Some photos..

Here is the Boss, checking out the roughing pass for the right side.

Right side finishing pass almost completed.

Uhh ohh, here is the left side roughed out! That is a 1/2" diameter double edge, flat bottom Freud bit. Does a great job of removing material. The left half was run much faster than the right with great results.

Running the finish pass on the left side. The engine is side mounted, so the left half is clean up to the spinner.

After this, we will be focusing on scale warbirds.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Looks great Terry.[:)]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow, that is so cool! once you make the plug, how do you fiberglass? just layer resen and fiber? it must be a really fine meshed fiber. once again, great job
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow, that is so cool! once you make the plug, how do you fiberglass? just layer resen and fiber? it must be a really fine meshed fiber. once again, great job
THend

Post by THend »

I think I'll do a show and tell. It has been covered in the past, but why not throw down some fresh material?? Ehh?

The two plug halves were joined last night. They matched up perfectly too!

The next step is to sand, paint and seal the plug. The plug needs to be real smooth and shiney so that when we make the mold, it will pop out and leave a smooth finish.
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

I guess I will have to wrap up the 109-E3 drawings.
THend

Post by THend »

Pete, you are next in line! If all goes to plan, I will have this plug in the parting board by Friday.

Confidence levels with the machine..... way up!

It pays to monitor the roughing as so much material is being removed, but I watched a football game for the finish pass.

th
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

dude! this is freaking COOL! Bruce and I are building the jgro's Router from cnczonedotcom, its a 15x30 cutting area, we got all the electronics and steppers, cupple of more week ends and ill be ready
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great work Terry! I can't wait to read your tutorial.
THend

Post by THend »

O1moregil, if you need a hand with anything let me know. I've paved a very tough path to get where I am. I too was in the process of building my own, and I still have the electronics and steppers....

Then I bought this one used....

Anywho... feel free to email me with questions and what not.

CNCZONE is where I hang too.