FW190 prototype AREA-52

Moderator: hbartel

THend

FW190 prototype AREA-52

Post by THend »

<font color="red"><font size="3"><b>Pete Sullivan </b> </font id="size3"></font id="red"> has a real soft spot for the FW190, so much so that he is designing one for scale combat.

Here is an early sneak peak at what has been going on at <font color="green"><font size="3">AREA-52</font id="size3"></font id="green">

Pete was a bit anxious to get this thing going, and we learned that we can rough out a fuse in short order, and it may only take a few minutes of sanding to remove the ridges left behind. Especially when cranking out a prototype. The plug for the mold would have rouging and finishing passes, and it would come out very clean and smooth.

Here we are using a 1/2" wide, 2 1/2 cut dual flute router bit. It really takes away the material, but leaves some finish work behind.

Here is the rough out. Even with the roughout, it looks pretty good.

Wing saddle.

Guns! well, where the guns go anyway.

<font color="red"><font size="3">He wants to put this up against the AREA-52 Spitfire!</font id="size3"></font id="red">

There ya go!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Looking good! What scale? In photo 2, it looks like there is a cutout under the canopy: what's it for?

How's the beer? [:D]
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Very nice Terry and Pete.
The 190 is a cool bird[8D]Plz keep us up to speed with more pics of your progress.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

thats gona be a cool bird!
THend

Post by THend »

Ed, it is a drawing issue that will be squared away, blending surfaces etc... [:D]

Still better than anything I can whittle by hand. [^]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Looks good
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Oh no! Area-52 is building again. Way to go Area -52. It looks like a great start to the next Area-52 bird. Atleast it will be easier than those spitfire wings. I have always like the FW-190 also. Can't wait to see it fly.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Sure beats the band saw, bread knife, and sandpaper method that I use.[;)] I have a new p-40 about to the sandpaper stage. Put it on a diet compared to my last fleet that I scrapped.[:(]
THend

Post by THend »

Boiler, I know someone who has a soft spot for the P40.

Hmmm, maybe P40 next??
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Terry,

How about an update on what you've learned and been doing with the router?

Also, specs on the router setup would be helpful. I'm looking at getting one, and would like to know where you got yours from. Is it 3 axis or does the head tilt, too?

Thanks!
Ed