Nice Mig!

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Nice Mig!

Post by THend »

This guy has it going on when it comes to running a 4 axis cnc! AREA-52 is in the process of upgrading the 4 axis foam cutter to run real g-code. GMFC is great stuff, but we can do so much more with g-code once we figure out how to do it.

Check this out! Nice plane.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.ph ... post587510
THend

Post by THend »

Tried to edit my message...

Scroll up to see the Mig and video.[:D]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

awe man, stupid youtube blocker at work. I will have to see this when I get home, it sounds cool though
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Very nice!!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Holy cow.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

It`s very very well done, but I can sure carve a lot of blue foam in 120hrs.
THend

Post by THend »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />It`s very very well done, but I can sure carve a lot of blue foam in 120hrs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes YOU can. [:0][:o)]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

man he has that machine singin along!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Andy,

If you look at his hands pulling parts off, he has either sped up the video many times the real speed or it's done with time-lapse images. The point at which the machine would be at it's maximum rate of travel is around 0:38 after the wire has exited the foam.

That's a lot of programming and cutting time!
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Yeah I saw that it was lapsed time. I havnt seen a cnc foam cutter work so I wasnt familiar with the normal speed. it just looked cool, thanks Alex. I like getting advice and tips from the masters[:)]
THend

Post by THend »

This has nothing to do with efficiency. I would never make that Mig the way he did, too much time and not efficient at all.

He has fast hands though! LOL, yeah there is a time lapse in there for sure.

What IS amazing is that he did it with a hotwire. He had to control 4 axis with g-code, and getting the co-ordinates right on the money took some serious work. I wouldn't say there is a ton of high level math, just a ton of it.

I can bang out a foam fuse in about half an hour on my cnc using the 3D router. Takes a few hours to draw it all up, but then the part can be made time and time again exactly the same. Take off the two halves, threaten them with some sandpaper and bingo bango boingo...ready to go if that is where you want to start...

Now, with g-code and Mach3, not only can you cut out the wing, you can do it very quickly because you can use rapids for the foam blocking. You can add cuts and things that don't have to be tied to a percentage of chord, turn on and off the hotwire, use the wire to do tricky things like push the blocking scrap out of the way, control an alignment fence.....

Technically, if you know what you are doing, you can accomplish some of that in GMFC, but you have to write to file and make some changes, or run two scripts....blah blah blah... GMFC is great for what it is.

It is a nice Mig, and the guy did it in a manner that really tells me he knows what he is doing. Even if it doesn't make sense from an efficiency perspective.