Yak-9

Moderator: hbartel

Timo

Yak-9

Post by Timo »

I hope this is the right place for this post. I want to post some pictures of a simple plane I designed some years ago. It's 1/12 to fit in ACES-rules, easy to build and fly and very robust - perfect for beginners (or experts with little free time).

The basic of the design, an Airacobra, was published in Germany in 1994 by Martin Elmberg, one of the founders of ACES. Airfoil and building technique of the wing is unchanged, but many details are improved. The Yak could be build on a normal weekend, flies very easy because of Spica-airfoil, is fast and manouverable because of light weight and very solid. I build three Yaks in 2006 and 2007 and still have all of them, some with 5 to 8 collisions... Must be the Russian origins, simple and tough.
Since the plan was published in a German modelers magazine, I'm not allowed to post the plan on the web. If someone from a foreign country is interested, he can send me a mail and I send him a pdf-version back. We got many new pilots through this small plane. It was perfect for them to learn the basics about aircombat, sometimes it's even good for a high scoring.

1/12 scale
86cm wing span
760g weight (without fuel)
2,5cm³ OS15LA, ASP15
about 130 to 140km/h maximum speed

Some more pictures, also from building, will follow.

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice looking bird, very clean!
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

VERY NICE !!!
Timo

Post by Timo »

Some building pictures:

gsjames

Post by gsjames »

It would be hard for me to imagine investing all the building time and effort to make such a beautiful airplane and then use it in combat where it will not last very long. Beautiful work, none the less.
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Me too, but we do it year after year.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Doesn't help, from the moment the start signal came you only think for going after streamers [:D]

When I build my three Yaks, I also made three extra wings in case I had to replace them. Now I'm flying for 2 1/2 contest seasons with the usual amount of collision and still have every one of the planes. Wood is good to repair, even the filigran looking wings. Many straight parts are making repairs easy, especially the flat bottom of the wing. The fuselage is very hard to kill, definitely not on a normal impact.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I can vouch for Timo's designs, the KI-43 I have is based off his plans and parts..
Nice work Timo!!
Cash
Timo

Post by Timo »

Hi Cash, you really did a nice job in converting the Ki-43 from balsa to foam. Did I send you a Yak-canopy too? Maybe you could use it for duplicating if someone wants to build this plane.

Field repaired Yak-wing two weeks ago, damaged at contest on saturday and flown again in the last heats on sunday.

THend

Post by THend »

Jeff Weiss could repair a balsa mid-aired plane so fast! At one of the last Pac Nats up in Sacramento, I destroyed all my planes. I figured I was done. Jeff took me to his store/shop, and in a few hours we had every plane back together again! FWIW
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Hi Timo, thanks for the kind words. I've gotten into Old-Timers, so I've been off the combat forums for a bit..I've found that I like to build..a lot[:)]
Anyway, I think that the Y ak would make a good conversion to our 3696 class..I think it would hold up well as is, or a builder could build the fuse and tail from wood and utilise a foam core wing, either way would work. And yes, I have a Yak canopy you sent me..it's just waiting on me..[;)]
Cash
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

For anybody interested, the major dimensions that really matter in 3696 is the wing area and wingspan..can't be over 250 square inches, or bigger than 36 inches span, plus keeping the nose and tail moments reasonably to scale. Timo's Yak is 34 inches in span, has 225 square inches, and is very close in scale outline..I think it would be a pretty reasonable 3696 plane..
Cash
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

I have a 3696 Yak 3 it has not been flown yet but its finished.the hardest thing to do for me was the narrow wing tips. someday I will fly it and we will see how it goes.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Since my Yak has the Spica airfoil and 3° washout it's very easy and good to handle at low speeds or landings. Low weight helps too, of course. Just try, planes are for flying :-)
aenima

Re: Yak-9

Post by aenima »

Im from argentina and i wolud be please to recieve the files of the plans of this model. mi email is lmirensky@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot