E 3696 P-51

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Hey Cutter, sorry I know who you are but don`t remember the name. I have quite a few build photos on my gallery pages 11 through about 14. Here`s a link.

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/view ... le&page=11
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Hey Lee, Thanks for the quick response. I checked the Gallery pics. That answers alot of my questions. I was wondering if the crutch goes all the way back. Looks like about 16" from the Firewall. Are both Fire wall and Crutch 1/4" Ply? Looks like your using 4mm coro for the Tail feathers. The spar resembles the LL Smacks. I seen the 3s 2100mah lipo posted, is that the 10C or 20c by CommonsenseRC? & the Speed controller is the 25A/35A or the 33A/40A by RCHotdeals? I think this should do for ALL my questions, for now anyway. Thanks for all the Help.

Jim Stephanoff
S.W. Corner of MI
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

OK, just read in another thread to go with the 8C 3s 2100mah batts, Sounds like the 33A/40A Controller @ $27.50 will do the Trick also.

Jim Stephanoff
S.W. Corner of MI
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Looks like about 16" from the Firewall. Are both Fire wall and Crutch 1/4" Ply? Looks like your using 4mm coro for the Tail feathers. The spar resembles the LL Smacks. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

All of that is good, except 1/8" ply (not liteply) will work well for the firewall and crutch.
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Lee,

What problems have you had with lite-ply for the firewall and crutch? Seeing the 1/8th" crutch is sandwiched in between two pieces of form, forming a pseudo-composite fuesalage, it would be plenty strong and save a lot of weight. I'm starting to think I might have under-estimated the speed and power these planes are capable of.

Nate
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Liteply might be ok for a crutch, but it won`t hold up to abuse on the firewall for sure. I`ve torn up a couple of regular ply firewalls.

Nate, You have reinforced the back of your liteply firewall, and I`m sure it will be fine for flight loads, but it will probably not hold up to many rough landings. The motors weigh over 3oz and put some fairly high stress on the mounting points in a crash.

I like the simple 1/8 ply firewall. It`s one piece and it is strong enough to hold the motor on with just wood screws. I like it fast and simple.

Also these planes can easily come out tail heavy, so if you want to save a little weight, the firewall is not a good place to do it.

PS Firewalls are easy to replace when needed.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”