E 3696 P-51

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Hat Trick

E 3696 P-51

Post by Hat Trick »

This one is scaled down version of my 2548 P-51. Weighed in at 28 ounces with the motor Lee recommended and a 2200 20 C battery. Two hs-81's on the ailerons. HS 56 on elevator.

http://www.hattrickrc.com/P513696.html
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

LOOKS really nice. How does it FLY! [:)]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Not flown yet! Hopefully this weekend.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Let us know how she flies Mike..looks good!!

Cash
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

here`s Mike`s P-51

boiler

Post by boiler »

Roy, notice the color of the ground where Mike's plane is sitting. The flight report will be for thin air. NOT!
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Yea, that's a white sandy beach. . . isn't it?
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

We've got nice white sandy beaches all over around here right now! If you decide to sit out there in your bathing suit shrinkage is a real issue!

If you look closely you can see the battery is loaded through a hole under the canopy. Canopy is held on with a little Velcro.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good idea, looks clean,
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Flew the P-51 today and this time it flew great. I really didin't want to mention the first flight but I guess I'll reveal my real level of stupidity! I checked the CG and thought it looked a little tail heavy but "it should be ok and I don't wnat to mess with it!"
First flight was a real handfull and I fought it the whole time. Finally had it trimmed out for straght and level. Mild elevator input caused a whicked snap. Soon figured out that reducing the throttle caused it to go verticle! Not looking good for landing! Finally lost it and put it into a frozen plowed field! Busted firewall, Bent motor mount spinner shattered. forward fuselage a little busted up, Battery makes a good battering ram! and tore out my battery restaints very easily!

Repaired the damage and moved the battery forward and improved battery restaint! Flew great today other than I nearly lost a couple fingers to frostbite! Hopefully the weather will warm up a bit so I can get some more enjoyable flights!
Looking forward to LSN to see how everyone elses planes fly!
jj

Post by jj »

Remember,
planes with the CG too far forward fly poorly,
planes with the CG too far back fly once! [:p]

Glad you got it back in the air. You must of had fun flying it if your fingers were frozen.

Aren't these planes a riot! What did you think of the performance, speed, roll rate??

Just throwing the throttle forward sure beats messin with fuel on a cold winter day.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mike, you need to quit abusing your fingers! A man with your profession and hobbies needs good fingers, and you keep slicing and freezing them, they aren't going to like it!
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

Whewwww. Get frostbite first, then cut into that finger with a prop. At least it will not hurt until it thaws......

I did the same tail heavy gig with my P-47. Went out about a hundred feet then came down like a pogo stick on the tail. Moved the battery forward and all was well after that. (That and gluing the two halves of the fuselage back together.....)
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Didn't get much time to enjoy the flight much but performance was great. I didn't check the RPM so it may have been turning more than allowed.
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Havent posted in quite awhile but I do come back from time to time to keep up with the Latest and Greatest. Been flying Electrics for over 3yrs. Mostly 3D stuff! Glow SSC Combat was a Blast, but I couldnt always find the time to rebuild. The new Electric combo you guys are using looks extremely promising! Can someone send me to a Link that shows a good build thread. I found all the Dimensions, Electronics & Wts. Just need to see one being put together. Who knows, maybe I can get some more Northern boys flying these Birds :). Thanks

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”