Possible e-exception to airplane list

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

jj

Possible e-exception to airplane list

Post by jj »

Not sure I, or anyone else, may want to build one, but it occurs to me that a particular WWII fighter was excluded from the 2548 list primarily due to vast difference with IC engines for particular types of airplanes. However, as an electric, with a simple change on allowable props sizes (I'm talking allowing a fan unit only for WWII jet fighters) it occurs to me that we might consider allowing some overly ambitious builder the option to make a

ME-262

Any thoughts or comments on this?

I doubt that it would be very competitive, but it would sure looks sweet to see a 262 trying to do combat with some p-51s.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Back in the day when we were putting together the 2548 list, we looked at jets and made the decision to eliminate the operational jets and rockets (Me-262, He-162, Ar-234, Me-163 and Gloster Meteor) because of the potential for competitive advantage (slicker airframes, wing areas, etc.) and the very large number of prop planes available to choose from.

Lee, Cash, JP and I had some discussion around 3696 jets, and some of the questions/comments/thoughts were:
1. Twin jets could be built with one engine in the nose to single engine standards (36")
2. Twins jets could be built with two engines (in the nacelles) to twin engine standards (45")
3. Would we consider ducted fans and what standards should be set? Obviously a DF running at 9K would not work.

I did a quick look up to refresh my memory, and one of the reasons we didn't do jets was the Gloster Meteor. For comparison, on a ~41' wingspan the Me-262 had ~234 sqft of wing, while the Meteor had ~37' wingspan and 350 sqft. Me-163 had 200 sqft on a ~31' wing. So, as a single engine plane, the Meteor would have a huge (~100 sqin) wing area advantage if allowed, and would also have a huge advantage as a twin.

The ringers would likely be the 163 and Meteor.
boiler

Post by boiler »

For now I think the keep it simple principal applies. The list as is doesn't seem to create any arguments and as you said. " the very large number of prop planes available to choose from" If a very ambitious builder wants to build one and play in demo matches it could be a lot of experimental fun. After the demo fun is over, there could be concrete numbers to work with.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Personally, I've looked at the Me-262 as a fun jet to add to the collection, and it does have the advantage of the nacelles and nose being ahead of the spar line to make balancing a bit easier than the Beaufighter. I looked at some of the fan units and motors and I can reuse two of my speed controllers and batteries from my BP-21 32" fighters.

If you decide to cut wings and fuselages, I'd be interested.

Go forth and have fun.[:D]
jj

Post by jj »

I was only thinking of the ME-262 as someone has recently built and flown a new one (full scale). The 163 was a rocket and I don't even want to touch that.

I suppose I shouldn't even mention this since we need to get 3696 established with common planes and standards, but I saw the 262, notices some cheap fan units and thought, you know, it just might work! [:p]

I've still got to get another P40 built and a few more kits completed for some of the locals, but maybe later this year.[;)]

My gut feel is that while the 262 could have a speed advantage over some of the current crop of 3696 planes, I doubt that it could yank and bank well enough to snag many streamers.
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

I have a question on another oddity that I would like to build. Would the DO-335 (a twin in a push/pull configuration) be built with the twin engine wingspan (45")? I have built several plastic models of this plane and have always thought it a neat design.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Eeehhh...just build a 163 and stick an E15-W up it's tailpipe. you won't make time, but I personally GUARANTEE you to have 3-4 seconds of white-knuckle fun..especially if you don't dump the ejection charge and cap it!! (Ask me how I know...[:p])

Cash
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father O 5</i>
<br />I have a question on another oddity that I would like to build. Would the DO-335 (a twin in a push/pull configuration) be built with the twin engine wingspan (45")? I have built several plastic models of this plane and have always thought it a neat design.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have a JDB Aerotech kit that will eventually get built with twin electrics, but it is not on "the list", and has >45" wings. If we were to allow it, if you built it as a single motor plane, then it would have to be 36". If you built it as a twin, 45". Cool plane
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

DO-335 will have a huge wing area advantage as a twin, or a single for that matter. 414 sq inches as a twin vs 327 for the P38.

Kits, did someone say kits? LSN is how many weeks away? Motors and speed controllers cost how much?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

No matter what plane is modeled, and at what wingspan, these limits apply. Singles max 250sqin. Twins max 350sqin.
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

Cut all the parts out for the Do-335. Wing area comes to 347 (my wife is a math teacher, she figured it out). Wingspan 44 1/4. Lenght 43 3/4. This is a LARGE airplane.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

Really cool though! Will be interesting to see how the launch goes, lots of torque working in the same direction. I was reading about the DO335 in comparison with a P-38 out of a book by the name of "The Great Book of World War II Airplanes" at 1/12 scale it would be 414.14 sq. In. That would be 45' 3 3/4". The JDB Aerotech kit I have calls out 395 sq. in. at 45" span.
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

The wing is a "thin" for scale to conform with the rules.

Yeah, the launch should be interesting but I am still puzzling how to fit a streamer on the thing! Another issue is that the rear engine is buried right in the middle of the horizontal stab and will make a torque tube for the elevator difficult. Would hate to have to resort to two servos......

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”