3696 at 5th MHM

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

jj

3696 at 5th MHM

Post by jj »

Even with a thunderstorm threatening we managed to get Colorados first 3696 rounds flown at the end of the MHM event. This included 5 3696 airplanes. There were 3 P51s, Ricks ME 109 and my P-40.
There was some great pursuit flying and the planes flew very well up here as the electric motors don't lose any power in the thinner air. Several people asked about kits and were very interested in getting started in 3696 both as general fun fly airplanes as well as combat. The only thing missing was the noise, but we are working on that.
slam

Post by slam »

excellent work.

i love these planes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of our combat events, a local soundman (works for disney studios) mc'd our event. he recorded the fight sounds from old wwII movies and played it in the background. sounded great.

maybe we can remix the combat cd we use for countdowns and input radial engines and gunfire. would be cool for e36!!!!

slam
jj

Post by jj »

A special 3696 CD / MP3 with WW II fighter sounds is exactly what we were thinking of doing. If you have the background sounds I can probably get it mixed. We were thinking of making it a 30 second launch followed by 4 or 5 minutes of combat.

The background sounds would help a lot because without any noise you need ot tell people about the combat action. They are then amazed at the aerial battle but baffled at the lack of any engine noise.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good job guys. It`s funny how we miss our screaming engines. I never thought we`d miss the noise so much, but after flying 7 up at LSN, I agree that a sound track would be great for events with spectators. Maybe even a short "voice over" kind of giving the basics of what we are doing. Like "These crazy pilots are trying to cut each others` streamers without destroying their airplanes" LOL
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

JJ, sounds like ya'll had a GREAT time. I'm glad it's taking hold over there and in Florida. These planes are a blast, easy to build, store and transport and relatively cheap to feed, and they look good too...what's not to like....[:D]

I'm thinking about making all of the 3696 pilots in the US members of the 12th Pursuit..ya'll would just have to salute me once in a while..with more than 1 finger, please..[:p]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Cash, the demo was in Colorado, as in "Mile High Maddness". I didn`t know that Monocote had fumes.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Cash, the demo was in Colorado, as in "Mile High Maddness". I didn`t know that Monocote had fumes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Whats Monocote?

Great job guys. So far we have 3 Florida flyers, just need one more to make it a contest.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I know that Col Liddle...that's why I said "over there and Florida"..you do know that correcting your commanding officer in public is a sign of disrespect, and is an offense punishible by loss of rank, pay, and being forced to listen to old disco records in a locked room....
RH

Post by RH »

When jj gets around to posting the pics he took of the Colorado squadron keep in mind that mine is the most battle and weather worn looking one [B)] and ask him which one was the last one in the air [^]

They were a lot more fun that I anticipated and with a few tweaks here and there they should be very competitive. I'll be flying mine at the soccer fields in the mornings on the way to work to get it dialed in [:)]

r
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<font size="6"><font color="green">NOoooo!!!, Pleeease!!!</font id="green"></font id="size6"> <font size="4"><font color="limegreen">Not the Old Disco records AGAIN!!!!</font id="limegreen"></font id="size4">
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Either disco or Polka, it's your decision....hehehehe
jj

Post by jj »

Now I can probably scrounge up an old Disco S.... T shirt but lay off on the Polka comments.

There is nothing like a full contact Polka Mosh Pit at the Baby Doll Polka Club next to Midway airport on the South Side of Chicago. Where else can you whirl around kicking uncles and idiots in the shins with impunity?[:D]

Full contact Polka is a riot, and I mean that literally[B)]
jj

Post by jj »

A photo of the 3696 planes flown at MHM. This was taken in the mid morning before the thunderstorms rolled in.

Rick built up his plane from one of Lee's kits while I supplied the rest.
Front left, my P 40
Front right, Frank III's P 51
Middle left, Vic's P 51
Middle right, Rhyno's ME 109
Rear left, Randy's P umm.. [:0]

After four minutes of combat Randy's plane just plain uglied ours out of the air. [;)]

It did fly well but the paint job reminded me of an old car I used to drive back in high school that never had any nice cars park close to it, and was given a lot of extra space during lane changes. Do we count primer grey with splotches of green blue and pink as a military color scheme??? [:p]

Rhynos mom made a custom shield decal just to make his 109 very accurate in scale appearance.

We had a lot of fun flying these around and everyone was impressed with the performance. We had just finished SSC so there was a great comparison in terms of speed and performance.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Did they make tie-dyed disco t-shirts???
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Nice lineup, JJ. Glad to see the Colorado Squadron up and flying..good work!!

PS..I LIKE polkas...drives my wife nuts, though...but she knows it's either Polkas, Marches, Rockabillt or Surf instrumental when she gets in my car..

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”