3696 Cowls

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Alex Treneff

3696 Cowls

Post by Alex Treneff »

Where are guys getting 3696 cowls? I need a P-51 cowl that is scale for 3696 size.

Thanks!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

http://www.rccombat.com/asp/workshop/Be ... 0Cowls.htm

You make your own. Very cheap and easy. If you are just making a few cowls, you can use blue foam for the plug. Shrink one bottle onto the plug and leave it. Then use it like a wooden plug.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />http://www.rccombat.com/asp/workshop/Be ... 0Cowls.htm

You make your own. Very cheap and easy. If you are just making a few cowls, you can use blue foam for the plug. Shrink one bottle onto the plug and leave it. Then use it like a wooden plug.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Lee. I was hoping someone knew of a supplier for ready-made cowls or a replacement cowl for another kit that would work since I don't know what airframe/design I'm going to stick with. I used a coke bottle for the short-lived Wildcate cowl.

Off to work on the mustang! [:)]
jj

Post by jj »

You can get replacement cowls for the e-flight or e-zone whatever airplanes. They have a nice one for a P51 for about $4 .
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />You can get replacement cowls for the e-flight or e-zone whatever airplanes. They have a nice one for a P51 for about $4 .

Thanks JJ. I found the Wildcat (Hellcat?) equivalent on Towerhobbies, but not the P-51. Do you know of anyone else that carries the e-zone planes?
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I just use the foam that makes up the fuselage and shape and tape it. That is the beauty of electrics, you don't need to make a cowl out of plastic to protect it from fuel.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drewjet</i>
<br />I just use the foam that makes up the fuselage and shape and tape it. That is the beauty of electrics, you don't need to make a cowl out of plastic to protect it from fuel.

Drewjet,

I'll have to get some pictures of my new mustang up here. I used foam instead of a plastic cowl and it came out pretty nicely! Now I'm just looking for some grey (silver?) covering, and I'll be all set!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Alex,

jkaerotech.com has it. Go to the Tools and Supplies link and scroll down
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Alex, I like to cover my planes with Ultrakote, they have a real nice looking aluminum/silver. It's more expensive than tape, but it's fuelproof, and easy to wrk with, goes on at low heat..

Cash
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Alex,

Thanks Ed. On Tower's website I found two brands of low-heat covering that come in grey/aluminum. I'm going to get one of these. I would use the packing tape, but the colors end up kind of uneven when overlapped. As much work as i've put into this plane so far, I figured I might as well give it a scale paint scheme! [:)]

I'm trying to get packed up to head off to college but I'll get some pictures of the Mustang posted sometime soon I hope!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rabbit Leader</i>
<br />Alex, I like to cover my planes with Ultrakote, they have a real nice looking aluminum/silver. It's more expensive than tape, but it's fuelproof, and easy to wrk with, goes on at low heat..

Cash

Thanks Cash, I'll give that a try!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alex Treneff</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Alex,

Thanks Ed. On Tower's website I found two brands of low-heat covering that come in grey/aluminum. I'm going to get one of these. I would use the packing tape, but the colors end up kind of uneven when overlapped. As much work as i've put into this plane so far, I figured I might as well give it a scale paint scheme! [:)]

I'm trying to get packed up to head off to college but I'll get some pictures of the Mustang posted sometime soon I hope!

You could also use the Aluminum Monokote paint on top of tape ... just a thought

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”