What I really want for a 3696 motor

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

What I really want for a 3696 motor

Post by Ed Kettler »

A full power motor that runs right around 9K without resetting the ATV/end points to 36% on an 8C battery
<ul><li>for singles on a 9x6 gas prop </li><li>for twins on a 7x6 gas prop </li>
</ul>

Looking for suggestions/recommendations
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

You`ll spend a lot of time and money finding just the right comb, then the motor will be running at 100% of its rated power all of the time and won`t last as long.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Ed, the motor I run in the Brewster and Bearcat is the Electrifly 35-36-1000. I'ts rated at 40 amps constant with a 53 amp surge, but I'm pulling a bit less than 16 amps at 8900-9000 rpm, with no limiting of the ATV or subtrims. So far the motor has landed cool every time. It's a bit pricier than the 2908, but it's an Electrifly product, and it comes with a nicely made cross mount and a good prop adapter that is 1/4-20 thread. The motor shaft is 4mm...been good so far!!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

That sounds like the perfect motor except for the price.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I know it's pricey, at 59.00, but I think it's the route I want to go. Everything I fly right now is running cool, and it's not putting stress on my esc or batteries. I really wish i could find a "no-name" motor with the same specs at a cheaper price, so far I'm still looking..

Cash
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Ed, I will let you know what an Eflite 10 will do after I get it in.
My 2908 tossed a front bearing on my 1st flight [:(]
It was a funny sound at full power, checked the shaft and clearance. Looked OK.......
Reflew this AM, not so it was the bearing.
So with some luck from FedEX and Horizon should have it before this weekend and will give you the data after its installed.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I would contact the motor supplier and see if they will exchange the motor for you. I have had good experience with mine, other than the fiddly bits with the power settings.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

ED, I have what you are looking for. Looks like a 2908, but has a 4mm shaft and 1000kv. Turns the 9/6, 9k at 15.8a static, full stick, no diddeling. I`ll sell them for $45 including mount and prop adapter if you are intrested.

I have two new ones in stock.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />I would contact the motor supplier and see if they will exchange the motor for you. I have had good experience with mine, other than the fiddly bits with the power settings.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I did email rchotdeals and they are shipping me a NEW one.
Just have too send the old back. Im just leary about the 1st run.

As for my power settings the only time I have had problems before was with A 20amp Caslte creation. It would drop the programing,and I would have too reset it on the PC link.
Other wise no problem so far with my ESC or motor settings
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I don`t have a problem with the 2908`s either when used with the Tower Pro ESC, but some folks don`t like to use their computer options on their radios. Or they don`t have them. For a class that dictates a specific rpm, you either have to use the radio to set the rpm, or fly a little back of the max by playing with gear ratios and such. Talk about diddleing, gear boxes are diddleing.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Will see which motor shows up 1st,then I will decide which one I'll use for LSN.
I want too test that E10 for more options too add too the list.

Im usuing the Eflite 40amp ESC, ( 40 amp was recommended for the 2908)

Nothing wrong with having a spare motor right,...[;)]
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

I re-mounted the NEW 2908 today after weighing the difference of the E10........
The E10 is heavier and the mount was different.
Stuck with the 2908 and re flew this afternoon.........[:D]
The STANG flew well.....not much for inverted flight but I can add some down throw for that.

Here I can fly at HALF stick and NO probs. or just PUNCH it too FULL and go vertical.........[}:)]
I rechecked the tach and is holding 9K with a slight drop.
Amp pull is low , the batt was barely warm........... after a 5 minute flight.

This NEW motor sounds so much better than the 1st one.

A side note is the E10 is heavier and a touch longer in the case.

ps : My EPA is set at 18 % too cool plenty of power too play when not in combat.......only with the correct C rating on the batt, of course.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good report. Glad the new motor is working well. I felt bad that you had probs with the first one. All of mine have been great.

That is one nice thing about the 2908, you do have to dial it back, but with better 3s batts, you can really hot rod if you want to. With a lower kv motor, you are stuck at 9k no matter what you do. You can go with an 8/8 prop or something like that, but rpm will get you speed every time.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Lee, I agree the performance thus far is great......[:D]
I would like too keep flying it im afraid of BUSTING it up too early.

Im gonna have too build another one NOW, just for the E10......

Return to “All About Electrics”