CD ROM Motors used as pushers

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

CD ROM Motors used as pushers

Post by sgilkey »

Is there a problem with using the CD-ROM type motors (IE BP, TowerPro 2408, etc) in a pusher configuration, i.e. is the thrust bearing configured to allow these motors to work as pushers? We adapted one to a pusher config and based on a few test flights it seems to be working OK but not sure if that will be the case long term! Also on some (larger) props, we seemed to be getting some strange vibration-type noises, but that may have been coming from our motor mount system, can't really tell. On smaller props/lighter loads, the motors seems to be working fine. I'm also a bit concerned that the CD ROM motor as a pusher just looks like it will suck in and really ingest a streamer. So far, no ingestions, just streamers wrapped around the prop shaft, but our experience so far has been limited. Thanks for any suggestions.
slam

Post by slam »

scott.

i am no expert, but have run many cdrom/outrunners as a pusher. i have not experienced any problems.

the sound you hear might indeed be the motor mount. with the bigger props the vibration seems to become very pronounced when the mount is loose or insufficiant for the motor. also you can hear an unbalanced prop pretty well with these electrics.

as far as injestion of streamers. i have not had any problems in that area with the pushers i have competed with. the props were going well over 18k though and that might make a difference.

slam

Return to “All About Electrics”