open e pictures

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

slam

open e pictures

Post by slam »

i'll start this one.

unlike drew, i am more interested in an indoor plane than a high speed bullet. my wwII planes won't work for indoor combat. one suggestion has been slow sticks. it would be a good spec class but i wanted to build something that would fly at the same rate, but be more durable.

what i came up with was a plane built off of a carbon arrow shaft, 2 mil tail, blue foam wing center, replacable white foam wings.

i used gws reciever, hitec 55 servos, phoenix 10 speed controller, cd rom motor, 830ma lipo bat.

all up weight is 7.3oz.

flight report. after flying with drews open we had a good midair and my naked wing got a break in it. easy to fix but might have to waste oz and tape my wings. at this weight it flew GREAT. this was comprable to an open b plane. tight loops (unlimited), nice inverted. it was way to fast though, even at 1/2 throttle. i could slow it with different prop. if i slow it down to a fast walk it flew great, not unlimited loops but could keep it in a 20' box no problem. might be an option for indoor.

slam
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

Another open e-combat ship. 32" wingspan and just under 220 sq. inches with ailerons. Flying on a GWS 350 with B gearing and an 8x6 prop.

Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Looking good Bob, what does it weigh in at?
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

Sorry Roy, I'm not Bob! I really should have picked a different name when I registered here, but didn't know Bob or that he used the name "boiler" here.

It was 11 or 12 oz, I cant quite remember. I only set up the foam cutter for the wings and took the pictures, A friend built and flew it. Now that flight is achieved I will build the vastly superior nemesis to scare this one out of the sky.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Oops, sorry about that![:I] I hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet. [:)]
Joe Ortiz

Post by Joe Ortiz »

Nice looking plane and pretty slick. Got more specs on the wing?

Joe
Evil Twin

Post by Evil Twin »

Are there any electric combat planes similar to these designs available in kit form?
RH

Post by RH »

Here's my Open-E rig. Looks pretty similar to Scott's and flies really well. I have been having a ball developing this and trying to drum up some local e-bat interest. Looking forward to seeing what comes out to compete on October 1st [:p]

With a 3 cell she hauls, with a 2 - still pretty spunky!

I have another one on the bench right now that will be even faster than this baby [}:)][}:)]

rh
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

I still think I will hover in the middle and let you dive for my streamer Randy.
Looks nice [:D]
Saturday looks too be a good day for a DEMO.
I would have too admit, Epower is easy to tune ( ha )
RH

Post by RH »

This might be my 1/2A entry!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s a 1/2a sized E-Falcon. Span 48", about 370 sq in. Weight is 18.5oz rtf.

I`ve had several different motors on it. In the pics is a BP12, about the cheapest brushless on the market. The esc is a CC25, but I plan on installing my BP 18A before I combat it. The battery is a 1700 3S Dualsky. This combo is pulling between 13 and 14 amps static with a 7/6 GWS slow fly prop. A 1300 3S batt would be enough to power the plane for 6 to 6.5 min, but I needed the nose weight anyway. The smaller batt would save about 1.25oz, but the motor would have to be shifted forward a little to ballance.

This thing flys very well. Good speed, great roll and turn rate.
I`ve also flown it with a Himax 2025-2700 inrunner brushless and the APC 5.7/3 prop that folks are using on the 1/2a planes. The 2025 will turn that prop at 20k while pulling about 13amps. The plane is VERY fast with that setup.

There are many other inrunners with similar performance, but they cost $80 to $100. The himax is $52. The problem with the Himax is that they turn the 1/8" shaft down to 2mm so that it will take the standard pinion gears for gearbox use. Where they step it down it is very weak. New shafts are available for $15, ask me how I know all this.

When I get my 2025 fixed, I will only use the softer props on it. The APC is very stiff and stronger that the shaft.
jj

Post by jj »

Hey guys.

We did a demo indoor combat at Wings Over the Rockies with Slow Sticks and though it was crowded had a blast. RH did a touch and go off of a B2 bomber wing.

jj
irone

Post by irone »

I think your designs are pretty good but you don't quite have the ticket yet. Check out "The Devil's Stick" to see what I mean. 2mm coroplast tweaked BP12 BL weight 9.5oz all up.

I love the smell of lipos in the mornings !
slam

Post by slam »

hey irone....how's it going?

the plane looks like it has potential. what about some more specs.

glad to see you have seen the light[:D]

i haven't been consintrating on the little e-planes as we have been flying the open nitro classes with larger e-planes.

the 1/2a is on our radar also.

i still think a small electric plane "group" (i hesitate to say the bad words....new class....) has alot of potential, especially if it is a "spec" class. at least with the motor, battery combo and the bl is a great motor to use....super cheap and accessible.

slam
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

Okay, I want to play too!

I have converted my Norvel .061 powered SPAD to electric (this is a picture before the conversion [:D]):

It now has a BP21, 15Amp ESC, and 2 cell Li-Poly on it and flies very well with an 8x4 or 8x6 slow flyer prop. Weight is around 14 oz. and it will easily fly in a small park. I think it pulled around 9 amps with a fresh battery and the 8x6.

Adam